Smoke's quotes on team "performance..."

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by JayB, Apr 2, 2006.

1. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

Not, trying to start anything here, but how do you guys honestly feel about these kind of quotes:

"The people are hurting. The players are down here. It's going to be a little while before we regroup and get it better." I felt pretty good about that but then he's goes on to say: "There's nothing you can do. "We just got beat by a better ballclub today." NO way! I understand a lot of that is media-talk. But that has been my number one problem with Smoke since day one... he is WAY too laid back and pessimistic.

This young teams needs peppy and active coaching right now, not this the-world-is-ending-bull. For what it's worth, I still think that Smoke is an able coach, but we really need someone on this team who can get these guys excited... they're playing emotionless ball right now. I remember in the past LSU teams used to be "fun" to watch--even when they lost, or were losing, it seems like they always had a chance to come back. Maybe I'm just a little too bitter right now because it seems like what was once an Elite Athletic Program is falling to the ground (of course it ISN'T, but it sure feels like it, eh?)

We need to get some former players on here as assistant coaches. Blair is coaching at McNeese... and I've seen him get pretty fired up and enthusiastic about coaching there...I'm sure there are some idle almuni that would love the chance...

EDIT: Most of you know that I am totally against bashing the coaches, it's not my intention to do so... but this is just one example of his poorest quality.

2. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

"It's going to be a little while before we regroup and get it better."

Curley? Curley Hallman? Is that you? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Generally speaking, I've learned over the years that when I hear statements like the above, the person making them has absolutely no clue as to what's going on, and is trying to buy time to cover his ass...a la Curley.

3. clair

clair Rockets

I don't know enough about LSU baseball to give an expert opinion, but

Brady took over a diseaster and made it into a solid program, year in and year out

Smoke took over a palace, and has turned it into a trailor...

I don't know how it can be a coincidence that we get slowly progressively worse every year that we are further removed from Skip's legacy

4. LSUHotdog

LSUHotdog Founding Member

Actually honest dissent and dialogue on this forum is not tolerated. Some fans take this so seriously that they can't distinguish between justified criticism and coach bashing. Good post JayB.:thumb:

5. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

6. LSUGraduate2002

LSUGraduate2002 LSU's Golden Years

Justin Hill is the former player that came back. With that said, here's hoping for a housecleaning next season in baseball.

7. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

Me and two of my buddies were talking about the "fate?" of LSU athletics this week and we inevitably stumbled upon the topic of coaching. Then one of my friends brought back something I said before basketball season that I had forgotten about... I knew that my two "most knowledgeable sports fan" friends constantly bashed Brady so...

Just to piss them off I told them that LSU would make it to the Final Four, everyone would get on the bandwagon, they'd lose in the championship game and then people would start bashing CJB again... I wasn't really serious, I knew LSU had the talent to make the final four, but come on...

Both of my friends brought that up (I had forgotten that I said it, but I wish I would have bet the house...) and then asked me what I thought about Brady now. I told them that I think he really is a great coach, but sometimes it is the assistants that make the difference in coaching. Coaches Treloar and Pierre are obviously two GREAT assets to our team and they really complement Brady's style. Brady has admitted that he hates watching film and Treloar says he really loves it. Pierre is obviously great with the kids and Brady really does know the game.

In baseball, I don't think that our assistants offer anything to counter Smoke's shortcomings. Scrapping the whole staff could be effective, but I still believe that Skip wouldn't but his programs into the hands of someone he didn't feel 100% comfortable with... It'll be an interesting season for sure.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Smoke has had a long and successful career. His coaching isn't a problem. But he has to recruit top players to have a top program. The new baseball stadium will help. Alex Box is the oldest ball field in the SEC with the crummiest facilities.

Pro baseball will continue to take our top recruits if we can't offer them something appealing to stay in college. It's also time to push the NCAA to allow full scholarships for baseball.

9. mss1616

mss1616 Freshman

I want to say that Smoke is an IDIOT for multiple reasons but the main one that I am speaking of today is the quote from the paper on Sat. is not the way to motivate your players. Comments on on players peformances to the media are acceptable when done correctly this quote by Smoke is unacceptable and shows lack of character by him:

“He can’t pitch here,” LSU coach Smoke Laval said after explaining how often the Tigers practice those situations. “It’ll be a long time before he sees the mound.”

10. USChater

USChater Founding Member

He's been saying craap like that sincde his first year. "I dont know what to do about it". Well you are the coach, fiogure it out. FIRE HIM NOW