Snapping Turtles

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by LSUTiga, Aug 27, 2011.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

2. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Why don't those have bullet holes in them?

LSUTiga likes this.
  3. LSUTiga

Cause they ended up with a hatchet in the back. I pulled the 4 biggest for a Democrat I know who doesn't mind cleaning 10 to have enough to eat.

I'm impressed with your memory though cause sometimes I do dispatch them on site. Bought an Ruger SR22 especially for that.

4. LSUTiga

Yesterday afternoon I went re-set nets in a lake I hadn't ever set them in. It's against a bayou. Looked promising. Going check them tomorrow.

KyleK likes this.
  5. tigerchick46

tigerchick46 Quick Learner

6. LSUTiga

I could take a picture of the scale while it hangs but that still wouldn't really "prove" it was an accurate and honest depiction. Lucky for me I don't have to prove anything to you. A 14 lb alligator snapper is an embarrassment. Those get 150+ so I have nothing to gain from posting it to begin with.

Caught a common snapper today that weighs 9-12 lbs. By the breed's standards that is a much bigger catch than the 14 lb alligator snapper.

I'd love to know how much YOUR snappa weighs though.

shane0911 likes this.
  7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

She said she was staying at the Roosevelt Hotel. Do you know how to modify a peephole?

8. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

If a fella wanted some turtles this is the time to get the big alligator snappers. Can cruise the ditches and get em in the shallows off the bank. Went to my pond little bit ago for some red bellies and there were 2 alligator snappers I assume locked in a breeding dance. First time I've seen it so I guess that's what it was. Anyways bout 30lbs each or so I waded out to try to get em and was about 3 inches from grabbing ones tail (which I think if I had gotten ahold of one I could have both the way they were locked up)of course they went under and popped up again another 20 yards out in pond and was to deep. So basically I failed horribly in getting them but still this is the time to cruise around and pick em up

KyleK likes this.
  9. LSUTiga

I had brought several to a guy starting a restoration project. I met him in Livonia. He was very knowledgeable and had a project before with several guys but they had some falling out. Anyway I brought him a 30 lber and told him I had butchered a 60 lber and wish I had known about him cause I would've kept it for him. He told me the 30lbers were the ideal for breeding.

I recently read that they may only lay eggs every 3rd year. Shame on you for messing up a man's piece that only comes every 3rd year. Kyle can sympathize with the turtle on that one.

KyleK likes this.
  10. LSUTiga

Thinking about going set 2 in the same lake I set in last week. Brought younger daughter's bf and let him pick up one net. While I was untying it he'd grabbed the back and lifted it. The front throat opened up and there was only one red necker left once I turned around. I'd adjusted the throat when I set it so I probably didn't put a good enough bind on it therefore it was just as much my fault. It was the spot I liked the best- a fallen tree in the pond. I think we lost a nice one for it to have enough weight to open the throat as he lifted. My curiosity is killing me.