Snapping Turtles

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by LSUTiga, Aug 27, 2011.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

They look small but they're not babies- not big either but common snapping turtles don't get as big as the alligator snappers.

I guess they weigh 7-8 lbs. pounds which means they should furnish approximately $120.00 of meat.

2. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

They do look like common snappers...people say any big snapper is an alligator snapper, but the common snappers can get big....(biggest wild caught, according to wiki is 75 lbs...but they're usually about 35 lbs. Alligator snappers are usually around 175 pounds.)

Did you all clean the sliders?

3. LSUTiga

Nah on the sliders. They are good but you have to clean several to have a mess (enough to eat).

They definitely are "common" snappers. The alligator has three raised rows and is very distinguishable.

4. stevescookin

Most people don't know that. The three extra scales are along the marginal scales on the mid lateral part of the carapace.

5. LSUTiga

There's still a lot I don't know about snapping turtles when it comes to catching them. They're a challenge. I guess if/when I figure it out I won't be as driven.

I've set my nets and even some lines two more times to no avail. Well, still catching a lot of the other turtles. Gawd, if only those were worth the trouble.

6. LSUTiga

Went to a pond this afternoon. It's a place I've had some success recently. This time, however, I opted to use stake/jug lines. Here's my view.

[​IMG]

Also some African ingenuity for red since he doesn't like my fancy grill. Btw Steve, the corn was for you...and delicious.

[​IMG]

7. LSUTiga

Only one and it was a softie (throwing bait out for chickie).

[​IMG]

8. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Another distinction is common snappers are a lot more aggressive than alligator snappers. And that neck is a bitch.

9. stevescookin

The soft shelled turtles are the most dangerous to handle...I think they must have the longest necks of any of them. I always handle them by the tail. (almost got bit once....learned about them the hard way)

10. LSUTiga

Yeah I handle them VERY carefully. I was telling someone yesterday that I think I read their neck can stretch to halfway across the back of their shell. I've found them to be more aggressive too.

Unfortunately this one had drowned. I'm pretty sure I was JUST too late getting there. I thought it was going to revive itself but didn't. Being it is so hot and this was a cow pond (urine, etc.) I didn't take a chance. I even cut into the bottom of his shell and there was fresh blood. It was hard but I told myself I couldn't chance it.

He was really too small anyway. It's just I've been wanting to clean/eat some. I've never had softshell.