Snort what do you put in the Gumbo?

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by olVENICEdog, Apr 25, 2004.

1. olVENICEdog

olVENICEdog Founding Member

Just curious about some good gumbo recipes...

2. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

here is the king of the gumbo's.....chef paul prudhomme's gumbo ya ya....the name comes from it being so good it makes you say "ya ya". note: let that oil cool down some after browning the chicken before you add your flour for the roux....if you don't, you'll burn the roux.....just go slow and add the roux flour a little at a time....it'll get there.

Gumbo Ya Ya

1 (5 pound) roasting chicken , cut up
    Salt
    Cayenne pepper
    Garlic powder
    2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 cup vegetable oil
    2 cups onions, coarsely chopped
    1 1/2 cups celery, coarsely chopped
    2 cups green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
    6 cups chicken broth
    1 1/2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
    1 pound andouille sausage finely, diced (or a
    spicy sausage such as Kielbasa)
    4 cups hot cooked rice

Cut chicken breasts in half crosswise to get a total of 10 pieces of chicken. Season with salt, cayenne pepper and garlic powder and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Measure flour into a large paper bag. Add chicken pieces and shake until well-coated. Remove chicken and reserve the flour.

In a large cast iron skillet, brown chicken in very hot oil, remove and set aside. Stir oil remaining in the skillet with a wire whisk to loosen any brown particles remaining in the bottom of the pan. Whisk in 1 cup of the remaining flour and stir constantly until the mixture of oil and flour (the roux) becomes dark brown (do not burn!). Remove from heat; add onions, celery and green bell pepper, stirring constantly until vegetables are tender.

Transfer roux and vegetables to a large heavy saucepan. Add stock to roux and vegetables and bring to a boil, stirring. Lower heat to a quick simmer and add garlic, sausage and chicken. Continue cooking, covered, until the chicken is tender, 1 3/4 to 2 hours. Adjust seasonings and serve in bowls over the rice.

Serves 10.

3. snorton938

gumbo ya ya is a classic chicken and sausage gumbo....here's a seafood gumbo.... this guy's from pensacola but his recipe has all the essentials. by the way, normally when i make a roux, i use 1 part flour for 1 part oil....this guy chose to use 2 part flour for 1 part oil and get a thicker gumbo...works for me. also, you don't have to add in okra or file if you don't want to...the key to good gumbo is getting the roux right, using fresh made stocks and meats (and fish) and then just letting yourself create. everybody's got their favorite ways to do it (but i definitely like at least shrimp, crab, and crawfish in my seafood gumbos plus some catfish nuggets if you've got it):

Jerry's Cajun Cafe & Market Louisiana Seafood Gumbo
    Source: Jerry's Cajun Cafe & Market - Pensacola, Florida

2 cups vegetable oil
    4 cups flour
    2 cups diced onions
    2 cups diced celery
    2 cups diced bell pepper
    2 tablespoons minced garlic
    2 cups chopped green onions
    3 gallons water
    1 pound fresh or frozen okra
    1 (28 ounce) can Ro-Tel diced tomatoes or 2 (10 ounce) cans
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    2 ounces crab boil
    8 dashes Tabasco sauce
    8 dashes Louisiana hot sauce
    1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    1 ounce Paul Prudhomme's Seafood Magic seasonings
    1 ounce Cajun seasoning
    1 ounce dried basil
    1 ounce dried thyme
    3 pounds peeled and deveined shrimp (70 to 90 count)
    1 pound claw crab meat
    2 whole crabs, cleaned and halved
    1 pint fresh oysters
    1 ounce file or to taste

First, you make a roux. In large, heavy stock pot on medium heat, add 2 cups vegetable oil and bring to temperature. Add flour gradually. It will sizzle when it is at the right temperature. Using a whisk, stir roux constantly. Stir until it reaches a peanut butter color. When it reaches the desired color, add the onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic and 1 cup of green onions (in that order) until all ingredients are cooked down or caramelized.

Next, add water, okra, Ro-Tel tomatoes, seasonings and bring to boil. After it reaches boiling, reduce heat to low and let simmer for at least an hour. Add seafood and continue to cook on medium heat for about 15 to 20 minutes.

Taste for seasoning and texture. Add file to thicken. Stir in the remaining green onions and simmer for a few more minutes. Serve as a soup with a little steamed rice. Makes about 8 to 10 gallons of gumbo. Can cut recipe in half to reduce.

4. olVENICEdog

olVENICEdog Founding Member

thanks I just made some for my girl she loved it. Chicken Gumbo w/crab meat. The stock was the key. IM going to freez 1/2 for another day. UM UM UMUmummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good. BLURP. Time to walk it off.

5. snorton938

i know what you mean. it's hard to make gumbo for two.