So can we put the "talent" conversation to rest

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TexasTigers, Feb 6, 2013.

1. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

Ut
    Auburn
    Ark.

All about recruiting base. Tenn is making strides in this. Auburn has to fight bama but there's lots in al and ga is close. Ark money can't make up for this and it's a bball school

2. TIGRIS PANTHERA

TIGRIS PANTHERA Veteran Member

LSU is undersized as a rule. It hurts LSU the most when they face the likes of a good tOSU (2008) or if they faced a good USCw team. Of late Alabama Crimson Tide is included in the mix. Taller, faster, smarter never hurts especially at skill positions.

PS
    I realize LSU defeated tOSU in 2008 by a convincing margin however had the momentum stayed in tOSU's as it was in the 1st qtr turning them back would have been very difficult. tOSU's guard alone (Rehring 6'9" 371 lbs) was a mammoth lineman.

3. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

See this years class for more info.

4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I bolded the last part because it's ridiculous after knowing how that game turned out--and how Florida beat the snot out of them the year before that. I wouldn't really call us undersized.

5. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I didn't call him a loser, I said Saban wouldn't be as hot a topic had he done what Miles has done the past few years. LSU is more talented than most teams we play, most teams in the sec, and most teams in the nation. Miles deserves credit for that, but with credit comes expectation.

I guess the bottom line is I don't believe LSU is playing to their full potential. I don't believe that LSU shouldn't be capable of competing for 1st every year, but if I felt like we were giving it our all and just falling short, I could almost accept that. But our offense has been unconscionably bad for many years and there just isn't a good excuse for it. I can't tell you how thrilled I am about the change at OC. Even if it doesn't work out, I finally feel like someone with pull understands we should expect more from our offense.

All I ask is that we strive to be our best. Miles deserves a lot of credit, he's won a boat-load of games and he recruits his tail off. Hiring a new OC makes me feel a lot better about his understanding of what the program needs from an administrative standpoint.

I feel like the posi-tigers like to paint us critics as unreasonable curs - most of us are reasonable. I think I'm much more reasonable than most of the sun-shine pumpers who only want to consider the sunny side of the Les coin.

6. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Ark is the right answer, this was the answer he gave me.

7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

In my mind it is quite simple.

1. Miles and his staff are tremendous recruiters and they don't get much credit for the job they do. The second or third response on this thread illustrates that point. LSU has never had such tremendous overall, consistent recruiting as we've had the past 8 years. We had talent always but not like we've have had lately.

2. The above fact is why we are now a top ten program instead of a top 25. We were never on a par with the OSU'S, BAMA, OU, NEBRASKA, USC, etc. Now we are.

3. QB has been our achilles heal, and our one bad position a far as recruiting. RP hurt us for sure, but even so we haven't done a great job recruiting a QB with a great mind and feel for the game. Depending on Zach Lee, I think that is his name, to choose fb over baseball was a huge mistake.

4. If we had a good field general the past four years that could keep his composure and not get rattled while being very accurate I really believe we would have won several championships, both sec and bcs. And I don't believe the guys who say we didn't/couldn't develope our QB'S. For the most part they either have it or they don't. The mental part of a QB'S role is so important but it isn't just learning how too do it, it's something the better ones are born with that can neve be taught. If they have that than they can be developed into a special player.

8. SaintSlidell

SaintSlidell How bout them Tigers! Who Dat

Les is an idiot! Only as good as the assistants around him. He is not going to run the offense anymore, and that is a GREAT thing. We have been recruiting top 10 classes for over 20 years now. It is not just Les, it has been a multitude of people. Les has cost his teams a whole lot more than he has given them. We were extremely lucky to win a NC in 2007! Anyone that thinks otherwise should go live with Les. His record has been in a large part to what started here way before him, and his quality assistants.

The one good thing you can say for him is that he hires the right people. Although it took him five years to realize he had no OFFENSE.

9. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Interesting. (not really) But I remember it differently. I remember SHITTY recruiting 20 years ago...and even more recently. Also shitty coaching. And I also seem to remember Les replacing an OC after the 2010 season, when he realized he had no offense. Then his new OC was diagnosed with Parkinson's in AUGUST, and he still managed to lead the team to a 13-0 regular season record against one of the most brutal schedules in CFB history, scoring about 40 ppg in the process. Then he had a terrible 10 win season, and made a change by hitting the ball completely out of the park with a GREAT OC hire in Cam Cameron.

But hey, I'm getting old. Don't trust my memory...

10. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

No, you are the idiot. Running a big time cfb program is a major accomplishment. Choosing and managing a staff is incredibly difficult, coping with the criticism is in itself hard a hell, managing over 100 college aged kids who all think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread is overwhelming, dealing with rich boosters who all think they know more than you can be a pain in the ass.

He does all of this while his players achieve more than any they did under any LSU coach ever, on the field and in the classroom!Les handles all this with class and a deft style.

You have no clue what it takes to be the head football coach at LSU, and you never will.

Miles is super smart and has a strength inside of him that guys like you will never understand so you attack him instead. Les Miles is a great man.