So, how can we work it out to play Tulane each (or most) years?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BrettStah, Oct 30, 2003.

1. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

First, there's an issue about next year's opening game now that Virginia Tech wimped out... that's a one-time problem that maybe Tulane will be able to help solve.

But long-term... any ideas? I know Tulane hasn't been very competitive, but it's still a big rivalry, and would be bigger if we played a lot more.

I don't know how much money a Tulane/LSU game would make in the Superdome, but due to the fact that you'd have 20,000+ fewer people I'm guessing it's safe to say that there would be less money. So even if Tulane and LSU agreed that LSU would get a larger share of the revenue, it still probably wouldn't equal what LSU gets with a home game.

Tulane has agreed to 2-to-1 home-home games with bigger teams in the past, but even that's not a real option, because apparently unless it's a 12 game season, LSU wants all non-conference home games to be home games, to get to a total of 7 home games per year. (A 12 game season would obviously allow them to play 7 home games and still play an additional away game).

I think it's safe to say that Tulane makes more money playing an away game at a big stadium like Tiger Stadium, so I don't see why they don't jump at the chance, and play LSU under the following conditions:

1) Any 12 game season would have the LSU-Tulane game played in the Dome.
    2) All other years would be played at Tiger Stadium, first game of the year.
    3) Tulane would get extra money every other year they play in Tiger Stadium. So one year they'd get the normal $500,000, and the next year they'd get $750,000.

What would LSU get out of this?

1) A yearly in-state rival that goes back 100 years. Lots of excitement and anticipation compared to the yawns from playing the normal cupcakes.

2) Periodic games in New Orleans, the largest market in the state.

What would Tulane get out of this?

1) A yearly in-state rival that goes back 100 years.

2) More money to help the budget woes faced by the Tulane athletic department.

3) Much more exposure that to help with recruiting.

4) See #2.

Comments?

2. Russell Durham

Russell Durham Founding Member

One of the better comments made on here. My brother and I get into this dispute all the time. LSU needs to play the big rival. Plus, even though it is Tulane they would still help the strength of schedule more than a ULM or ULL or any lower division school.

3. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

i am all for rivalries, and I have a spot in my heart for LSU v. Tulane, but I would much rather see LSU renew a rivalry with Texas A&M instead.

I know this will most likely never happen because of recruiting, but I used to love watching them play to open the season in the late 80s and early 90s.

The problem with LSU/Tulane is yes, recruits will come to watch, but only Louisiana recruits. Not only that, but realistically, how competative is Tulane now days?

Doing a home and home with A&M every year allows LSU to get inside Texas, where there is a wealth of high school talent. This matchup would also be very competative, and help with the BCS SOS.

just my 2 cents.

4. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Here's the problem ... Tulane draws less than 20,000 fans in the Superdome. Playing LSU would fill the Dome with mostly LSU fans, but without LSU getting much of the revenue.

LSU would need to get a much larger cut of the gate to make it worthwhile ... and I don't think Tulane is willing to do so.

5. Russell Durham

Russell Durham Founding Member

You have a very valid point. What I was saying is we don't have that game like GA/GA TECH, FL/ FL ST, etc. It would be nice to have either or both. Playing both schools every other year at home would help the SOS tons. Set it up to where the year you play one at home the other is on the road. Just something to think about.

6. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

Agreed... of course if they used my idea they'd only play in the Dome during the 12 game seasons (which seem to be once every 5 years).

7. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

Wow... I like the sound of that too! It'd be great to be able to play them as well. If we could go to a permanant 12 game regular season it may be doable.

8. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

Texas A&M wants no part of us! They're afraid we'll come into their backyard and take their recruits right out from under them! :)

9. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

BrettStah, I like the idea, and you bring up several valid points. But, I just don't see the Athletic Department limiting its scheduling abilities by committing to play in the Dome in 12 game years. That means we cannot play at a big name school in those years, like we did at Virginia Tech and at Arizona. Since the argument has been repeated ad nauseum that we must play at least 3 OOC games at home each year (the validity of said argument I won't discuss), we would not be able to play Tulane and another OOC opponent on the road. Therefore, we would be unable to schedule the quality opponents we all want to see, since those schools rightfully will demand home and home series. The Tulane idea is a good one, but it is just not workable.

10. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

Yeah, that's a completely valid point that would kill my idea cold. If Tulane basically would agree to only having a home game with LSU every 10 years or so, maybe it could still work out. :)