So, how can we work it out to play Tulane each (or most) years?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BrettStah, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I think we should start a Rivalry with the SAINTS.

LOL, how could they turn us down?
    they wouldn't have to travels very far every other year!

:)

Actually I use to like the A&M thing but I dissagree with it now.

I think we should have a rivalry with a big 10 team!

What about MIchigan State??

Wouldn't that be good!

2. TigerStripe2003

TigerStripe2003 Founding Member

I'm no more excited about playing Tulane than I am about playing USL, and less excite to play them than I am about playing Tech. I'd rather save the 12th game for a home and home with a name school. Why waste it on Tulane for God's sake? I don't care if Tulane's entire athletic department folds up (for that matter I don't care if the entire SCHOOL folds up). LSU owes Tulane nothing and if the situation was reversed, Tulane would be racking it's collective brain for ways to screw LSU (see past Sugar Bowl selections). Sorry for the rant, but to Hell with Tulane.

3. ledfoot

ledfoot Founding Member

I wouldn't mind playing Tulane every year. The only thing is before it was always the last game of the year. Lsu was always in line for a bowl game and Tulane would always come in trying to ruin Lsu's season. It would be ok to tee off on the weenies for the first game of the season.

4. verouchi

verouchi KOC-RPH

Here is the thing guys, we have to have 7 home games. But next year we are paying a hell of a lot more money... Maybe with the extra revenue they should concentrate on us getting away from only playing the cupcakes...This is absolutely radiculous that we have never NEVER played a Michigan or some other all time power house. We need to see come great games in Tiger Stadium we deserve them.

5. ok awesome

ok awesome geaux

We were supposed to have a big game vs Virginia Tech.. but...

6. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

I rather have Tulane on the schedule every year, rather than Div 1aa teams or other Tulane like cup cake teams.

The truth is LSU has too much to lose playing Tulane. The money isn't there for LSU and losing is too big a risk. I would like to see us add better non conference teams, but I understand the difficulty in scheduling those home/home deals. Texas AM would be a nice game, but like it was posted earlier, they want no part of us.

7. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

Yeah, I know it's Texas A&M's fault for not renewing that series. That won't happen as long as the current coach/AD is there. The "we have too much to lose in recruiting" argument is crap. There is more than enough blue-chip talent in Texas to go around and they could push us out of the Houston market if they played us and beat us. They would have to beat us though.

Like I've said many times, my ideal OOC schedule, every year, IF the 12 game schedule were made permanent:

Tulane, home-n-home, every year (preferably last game of the year or next to last, for both teams)
    Texas A&M, home-n-home, every year (preferably first game every year, for both teams)
    ULL, ULM, La. Tech, on 3 year rotation, at home
    One solid non-BCS school (TCU, Fresno St., South Florida), at home

There we go. Seven home games a year, and we preserve both our traditional non-SEC rivalries.

8. TigerStripe2003

TigerStripe2003 Founding Member

Not enough weeks in the season to do that. We have four away conference games every year. In 11 game seasons, we can't have an OOC away game and have 7 home games. Scratch Tulane, home and home period. We gain nothing for playing them. Scratch aTm. Their stadium is waaay uncomfortable. As long as we're dreaming, let's go with Oklahoma or Ohio State or Nebraska or USC or UCLA or Penn St. or Michigan or FSU or Miami or Texas, etc. I like your idea about solid non-BCS schools, but they're getting to where they want return trips, too. Bottom line is we don't need to take care of Tulane by giving them a windfall home game every other year - they made their bed when they left the SEC. Let them fold.

9. shrevelawyer

shrevelawyer Freshman

I someone who is a big Tech fand and a huge LSU FAgive an opposite point of view of why its important to play another in state school like Tech. In State rivarlies are great for many reasons. One it shows that a true National championship team can overcome a truly emotional game thats not always based on talent alone. But in Louisiana its needed for another reason. LSU has always been able to recruit alot of players from In-state.THis adds alot to the fan devotion and it being a louisiana team instead of the whole team being from Texas and Florida. Lsu has an vested interest in keeping schools lile ull and ulm, and esp LaTech around. Theres an outward migration in this state of population first off and its really putting the pressure on some great football programs in this state EX. Haynesville to maintain these programs. Not every football player can be recruited by LSU. It certaintly helps all programs as a whole to have certain viable programs there players can aspire too. I dont mention Tulane becasue they often dont recruit here and alo since they are a private school the situation is a little different. LaTech is the only team that has shown improvement as a recent addition to DivI. ULL appears to me to be hopeless and ull program that once showed promise has been in years of decline. LaTech is of course helped by playing LSU but lets not forget keeping schools like Tech in the mix helps their programs which keeps as i mentioned before interest in football statewide.