So Much For "Gun Control"

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LSUTiga, Jan 25, 2013.

1. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

A good parent is a good parent whether they work or stay at home. My children have my values because it's taught at home. I didn't have to be at home 24/7 with them for them to have those values.

Being a working mom is completely exhausting, though. It's doing two full-time jobs.

2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

You aren't going to win this one Stace, he appears to be one of those barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen fellas. Just leave him to his vices and move along. ;)

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Indeed. I never suffered from lack of parental interaction with either of my working parents, before or after starting school.

You may have a point here. My mom did stay at home for my first three years. I was an only child, so when I entered Pre-K at 4, I was ready for interaction with other kids and it was exciting and enlightening. But its not like Mom stopped interacting with me. I was reading, writing and doing arithmetic at the third grade level when I entered first grade. Not because of Kindergarten, but because of Mom and Dad.

4. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Bad assumption, but I think you know that.

The issue is not and has never been working women. Never.

My opinion is that kids do better with mom at home..that would mean max five years, probably four. That is it. Because, as others have said, once in school, mom - kid contact is about the same regardless of what mom does.

And OBTW, I have had meetins with enough WEEPING Moms of 8th graders to know, that parental influence by 8th grade is, how shall I say it as to not to offend even more, waning.

How this turned out as women defend your right to work, and others take a cheap shot to bash HWR thread, I dunno. Please note "better," not the only way, to turn out good.

Unless someone posts something stupid, I am out on this one!

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It was only the remark, "I am convinced that I am 100% right", that provoked a response from me. You are entitled to an opinion and your position is not without merit. But no one is 100% right on subjective issues and I thought it was important to introduce valid contrary experiences.

6. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

all good homie

7. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

10 years ago, I had a sideline gig as a community columnist for The Dallas Morning News. I wrote a column one week about the struggles of being a working mom. I received a plethora of emails (some of which the newspaper published) calling me selfish for working and a terrible mom. Sometimes, we working moms get a little defensive when told we aren't doing what's best for our kids. Instead, I hope I'm teaching my daughters that they can (and should) have careers and still be mothers, as well.

tigerchick46 likes this.
  8. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

by your own words thats how, you said you are 100% right and the country went to hell because of it.

9. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Well I said, unless someone posted something stupid. The way an educated person reads your sentence, you are stating that I said I was 100% right and the country went to hell." Because I was right? That is not even decipherable. Are you drunk, or high?

Here is a suggestion, change your sig to "I'm more dumbass than illiterate."

Geez.

10. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

How is sahm contact with kids same as working mom when kids are in school? Kids home at 3, working mom home at 530-600.

And being a working mom shouldn't be like working two full time jobs unless you are single or have a partner that doesn't help.