So Much For "Gun Control"

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LSUTiga, Jan 25, 2013.

1. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

neither and your reading comprehension is at a 3rd grade level at best. The word 'and' would imply that you made both of those statements, not in the same sentences, but at different times.

2. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Most of the time, I'm home by 4:30. My elementary child is out at 3 and attends an after-school program on her campus until I pick her up. My middle schooler doesn't get home until 4. So, I'm missing little interaction with them.

If parenting is a "full time job" as many stay-at-home moms insist, then working and being a mom is two full-time jobs. When my husband travels for business, I'm most certainly the only parent in the house.

3. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Teaching is definitely the best of both worlds, imo. When the kids are off, so are you. Course, I guess that could work both ways. :D

4. StaceyO

It is the best of both worlds--except that it's hard to take off during the school year for their doctors' appointments, school activities, etc.

What I find really funny is how much I look forward to summer to spend time with my kids, while many stay-at-home moms have gotten spoiled by having lots of freedom every day during the school year. This leads them to complain when summer rolls around and they will have to deal with their kids 24/7. Every year, at the spring family picnic, groups of moms will bemoan the end of the school year.

5. LSUTiga

God, Family, THEN work. Make time, you won't regret it.

gyver likes this.
  6. StaceyO

I agree with this completely. That often leads to an inner conflict for me, though, because I feel guilty when I have to miss work. I'm conscientious. But I understand that family comes first in that particular equation.

When a woman up here at my school becomes a mom, my first piece of advice is, "Don't stay up here at work any later than you have to; the work will be here tomorrow. Go home when your day is over and spend time with your baby." Some teachers in my building stay up here until 6, 7, or 8 o'clock at night. Many of them do this because they have no one at home, but if they are parents, I always advise them to get home to their kids.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It's good advice for anybody. I've always told my people that if they can't get their jobs done in 40 hours, then they aren't doing it properly. We're on salary and we don't get overtime. We stay late if we must to get the job done. We leave early when we must as long as the job gets done. But all-in-all being a workaholic does not pay, even for singles and DINKs, much less for parents. Leisure time is important, too.

8. LSUTiga

Or maybe because THEY DO. :D

So true. I'm glad I was able to learn that at an early age. I've found that leisure time can actually enhance work. Well, indirectly by re-charging your batteries.

9. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

In the same boat here... every other sunday afternoon when he goes back to his moms a little part of me dies. 2 weekends a month isn't enough time. But i'm lucky we remain very civil and do our best to get a long for his sake.

shane0911 likes this.
  10. gyver

gyver Rely on yourself not on others.

My 1st wife would keep my daughter from me for 2-3 months at a time if I couldn't give her extra money. I hated that bitch. My 2nd was with me through most of that ordeal and when we divorced she said she saw what it did to me and would never do that. So far so good. Keep on keeping on Tiger. 1 day and 2 weekends at a time. Make the most out of every minute you can.

GregLSU likes this.