Republicans So now that the Republicans were VOTED in control of congress

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUpride123, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

It is irrelevant as to whether the Republicans held one house of congress or both, all they have needed is one of them to obstruct every initiative put forward. To be clear, the Dems have done the same with not allowing votes to come to the Senate floor as you alluded to. As to who should go first in the peace talks, I don't know that either side is willing to do so. A 24 hour news cycle coupled with bundles of dark money have made compromising or changing ones mind political suicide so no one does it anymore.

I agree with Red that a viable third party would go a long way toward helping as well as the ending of gerrymandering every ten years. If, by ending the winner-take-all system of Presidential elections, we mean that we split the electoral votes based strictly upon the popular vote then I would agree with that notion also. Currently I think there is some rumbling in the Republican base about trying to split electoral votes on a state level in swing states to try and give themselves a better shot at winning the Presidency. I am vehemently opposed to altering the electoral college in this manner but would favor splitting the electoral votes of each state to reflect the popular vote.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Why do we need the Electoral College at all? Just count the votes and whoever gets the most wins.

3. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Woa dude. Where do you get these ideas!

4. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

From your lips to God's ears.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

We don't. The electoral college is a system designed for the 18th century. Then they were worried about the proliferation of small political parties back then and feared that the popular votes would be so diluted that a minor party with a small minority of the votes could win power without really having the support of most of the American people. The winner-take-all method of voting favors the larger states making the electoral college inherently undemocratic.

LSUTiga likes this.
  6. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

That's part of it. There was also the concern that the large population states would overwhelm the small population states. The same reason that the senate was created is that is gave the small population states more weight.
    Is it needed now? I don't know. I lean to having the electoral college be proportionalized within the states. That way the minority rump in a large population state votes would have meaning. As it is the districts such as the Rs in Orange County Ca and Ds in Austin Texas and the like votes have no meaning. The D majorities in Ca & R majorities swamp the minorities that have little hope that their vote will have any influence in the outcome.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

This is why I think that state status should be no factor in presidential elections. Too many inherent flaws. Make it a straight popular vote.

The states can elect their own governors and they can elect their own representatives in Congress. But the state party apparatchik have no business electing the president. That should be one person=one vote. Get rid of the electoral college. Get rid of the primary elections, too. Or at least have them all on the same day. This bullshit where any candidate that does't win in Iowa or New Hampshire is out of the race is bullshit. The rest of the country is left voting only for what a bunch of yankee farmers like.

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble