So our beloved Dr. Huxtable is a serial rapist in real life

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by islstl, Nov 21, 2014.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

2. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

What's sad is that a serial rapist has evaded prosecution because of fame, money, and the ability to exercise the feelings of guilt and shame on his victims. He's a sad human being. He is a pile of dung and I hope he goes straight to hell.

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I tend to question credibility when it takes 30 years to make an accusation

StaceyO, red55 and Bengal B like this.
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

In that picture he looks just like Fred Sanford

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  5. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

A teenager coming forward to accuse Bill "Dr Huxtable" Fat Albert Cosby? Right. He had money, fame, reputation. They had what? An allegation...a dumb girl who took a pill, had a drink. Who in hell would have believed them? Even now with over a dozen on record, people don't believe them.

The statute of limitations has passed. They aren't suing. What would be their motive?

Some women go a lifetime without ever accusing their perpetrator or telling anyone. Shame and guilt are powerful.

Tiger in NC likes this.
  6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I would hate to think he is actually guilty of all that. I always liked him

shane0911 likes this.
  7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I understand. I also understand that a high percentage of reported rapes turn out to be hoaxes. And Cosby has been sued by a couple of them, the guy is rich, which is a motive for gold-diggers to make claims they cannot prove. I suspect that Cosby is guilty of some of these charges and not guilty of others. The problem with waiting 30 years is that it becomes a he said/she said situation. Witnesses are gone, memories are fuzzy, records are gone, evidence to corroborate or quash the allegations is gone. Victims must report rapes quickly, regardless of guilt or shame so that both parties have an opportunity to prove themselves. Cosby is being tried in the media on allegations alone. He should have been hauled into court 30 years ago to explain things under oath when corroborating witnesses and forensic evidence could have been found.

shane0911 likes this.
  8. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

For sure there are plenty of accusations that are false. And yet, just this month in New Orleans, we see this....
    "The NOPD's Public Integrity Bureau identified 1,290 sex crime-related calls assigned to the five detectives and determined that in only 179 instances -- 13.9% -- did the detectives file "supplemental reports documenting any additional investigative efforts beyond the initial report; these 179 supplemental reports were the total written investigative product of the five detectives for sex crime-related calls for service for three years......But in 60 percent of the cases, there was no supplemental report," he said. "There were a total of 1290 cases; 840, there's not a word, even a single word. Nothing. Nothing. There's nothing to note....Of the remaining 450 calls that were designated as rape, simple rape or indecent behavior with a juvenile, documentation suggests the five detectives followed through in less than 40%, or 179, of the cases, the report said."
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/12/us/new-orleans-sex-crimes-investigations/index.html

How many cases go unreported, uninvestigated, dismissed? What does that do to victims already struggling with shame and the idea that nobody will believe them?

I think he was sued by just one, Andrea Constand. There were 10 women willing to give anonymous corroborating testimony in that case....but Cosby settled. I wonder why.

I get that. Those memories however, don't get fuzzy with time. Waking up and finding Bill Cosby trying to insert his penis in your mouth isn't a fuzzy memory.

It's easy to say "regardless of guilt and shame" unless you understand the power of those emotions. They can control every waking moment and they are extraordinarily powerful. And it's exactly why perpetrators exploit them in their victims because it works. Some of these women were still in their teens. Cosby was a massively popular, wealthy, powerful, beloved figure in America. Who in hell is going to believe some star struck teenager who may have accepted a drug-laced cocktail if she says "Bill Cosby raped me"? Nobody, that's who.

From an alleged victim....Bowman wrote about another, "final" incident and noted she didn't alert authorities at the time because "dismissive responses" from those to whom she appealed for help convinced her no one would listen to her. "That feeling of futility is what ultimately kept me from going to the police," she wrote. While I am grateful for the new attention to Cosby’s crimes, I must ask my own questions: Why wasn’t I believed? Why didn’t I get the same reaction of shock and revulsion when I originally reported it? Why was I, a victim of sexual assault, further wronged by victim blaming when I came forward? The women victimized by Bill Cosby have been talking about his crimes for more than a decade. Why didn’t our stories go viral?"

We all know that there is a level of casting couch in Hollywood including women and young gay men that have been asked or forced to do things by wealthy, powerful men in order to further their career. How many of those cases have been officially reported or tried in court? Less than a handful, if that. And you think the perfect man image that is Bill Cosby would have wound up in court? Not a chance. He's the worst kind of all violators.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Rape is shameful for the rapist but the raped need not take it on. It's a very private humiliation, but if they can't get past the embarrassment and go public with the charge, the evidence, and the witnesses, then the rapist gets away.

As tough as it is, victims have a responsibility to report the crimes promptly. There are good and long-established reasons for the statute of limitations.
    1. a plaintiff with good causes of actions should pursue them with reasonable diligence
    2. a defendant might have lost evidence to disprove a stale claim
    3. long dormant claims have more vindictiveness than justice in them
    This is a real problem. The possibility of police misbehavior is another good reason not to let grass grow on reporting and following through after being a victim of a serious crime. Get a lawyer and fight. It is a lot easier to expose and catch police misconduct when it is very recent.

And an even larger number of young women and men who offer themselves to the rich and powerful in return for favors and attention. And perhaps regret it decades later.

I don't know the details and I don't defend Cosby for anything he has done. I just don't like allegations conflated into facts in the media and accepted as truth. We are innocent until proven guilty in this country and have a right to face our accusers in court in a reasonable timeframe.

10. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I can't explain it any more than I have but it is not just "humiliation". It's fear, guilt, shame, self-hatred, self-doubt and a myriad of other issues. Yes, the perpetrator gets away and that's another layer of guilt. Going public sounds so easy and yet look what happened when Woody Allen's child did so. Lots of famous people came out to say, "No way Woody Allen would do that". People don't want to believe bad things about those they love or think are solid citizens. It isn't all that uncommon for family members to deny things when a victim reports a sexual assault from years earlier.

Victims are often barely in to legal adulthood. While I understand and appreciate why there is a statute of limitations (there is none for murder), that doesn't always work out the way you might think. Take Constand for instance. She reported the alleged crime just one year (not 20 or 30) after it happened. She waited the year because, "She said she drove herself home and decided not to report to police what happened due to Cosby's fame and her position as a Temple women's basketball administrator. Instead, she said she contacted a lawyer who deals with sexual assaults....Montgomery County District Attorney Bruce L. Castor Jr. decides after a monthlong investigation that there's not enough "credible and admissible evidence," a year after the alleged crime, to prove any charges....Castor reveals that Cosby had been evasive during his investigation. "I think when he said that he didn't do anything improper or illegal, I thought then he was lying and I still do," he tells The Associated Press. But Castor says there was not enough evidence to prove anything." So without bruising, bleeding, or semen there are no facts, just a he said/she said. Even if that evidence had existed, you can bet Cosby would claim it was consensual and that she willingly took drugs/alcohol. Again, the chances of successful prosecution were slim and none.

Jameis Winston's accuser was threatened and referred to as a slut. She told immediately and was still treated poorly and the investigation shuttled for reasons we all know.

And I'm sure you realize the difference in a victim of say, burglary, having to recount the incident and pursuing charges compared with the victim of a sexual assault, having to tell her story repeatedly when you aren't believed and are facing money, power, and fame.

They exist too. But again, where are all the successful prosecutions against those who broke the law?

He could have faced his accuser in civil court but he knew there were 8 other women waiting to testify.....so he settled. And certainly he is within his own rights to file suit at this point in time for defamation, slander, libel. Why isn't he?