so...Pink will sing our National Anthem at the not-Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Frogleg, Feb 2, 2018.

1. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

When I joined the Air Force in 1966, I had to go to basic training in Amarillo due to a meningitis outbreak in San Antonio, When I finished basic, I went though advanced training at you guessed it, a mile down the road at Amarillo AFB. When I finished advanced training my first assignment was at Reese AFB outside of Lubbock, 75 miles down the road. It was a relief to get an assignment to Nam in 1969 and get the phuck out of the Texas panhandle. They made up for it. I spent 13 out of my last 14 years in the Colorado Springs area.

stevescookin and Bengal B like this.
  2. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

My point, and I am sure you got it, was that these kids are gonna receive, on average, no money from soccer at the collegiate level. The parents should keep their kids in rec soccer and save the money that they are wasting on soccer dreams.

stevescookin likes this.
  3. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Soccer is a non revenue generating sport. Soccer moms should know this. More scholarship opportunity is available for music. And music students don't get in trouble for being paid professionals while they pursue their degree. No NCAA regulations against that.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

How many job opportunities are there eith a degre in music? I have known a lot of really good musicians but only a very few of them were able to make it their lifetime work.

5. stevescookin

Most get regular jobs based on their bachelor's.

6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I do get that and I agree. The only problem is when you have a child with talent, and a competitive drive. My daughter is extremely competitive with small D1, D2 skills. She's not even sure she wants to play soccer in college. But rec level? No way. She hated it and was bored by the time she was 9. She wanted to win and play a higher level. I think the key is to avoid things like big camps and recruiting services, and knowing when to finally pull the plug on club.

Every sport not named football, a handful of basketball programs and LSU baseball, are non-revenue generating. What percent of college-bound students even have music proclivity? If you want to know where the most merit aid is, look no further than any box not marked "White".

Is that unique to music majors? Most studies show that almost half of all college grads are working in jobs not related to their major.

stevescookin likes this.
  7. stevescookin

Yep. People wonder why major in humanities. They utilize their talents and get jobs based on having a degree. After that, it's up to them to rise.

It also makes them a better human being and a better voter.

8. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Humanities/liberal arts degrees are more porous than the job market and they don't pay nearly as much. I wouldn't call them economy jobs.

Great article but highlights for why it's a lame area of study....

"A college degree is worthless if nobody is willing to pay you for the skills you acquired while earning it. STEM graduates, as well as those from Accounting programs, learned actual skills in their studies. Humanities majors learned only “soft skills” like writing, and “critical thinking.” All useless majors teach the same “soft skills.” Many of the useful majors also teach them, so why not choose a useful major?

Almost all kids who are chasing their dumb dreams in college would be better served by majoring in Accounting or IT while working part-time in whatever field they’re planning on pursuing. They’ll have both useful skills and work experience.

1. It is all soft skills.

2. It prepares you for graduate studies.

3. It contains absolutely no math

4. The Bureau of Labor Statistics data on the field are terrible.

5. The course matter are conspiracy theories.

Things like Gender Studies, Post-colonialism Studies, Sociology, and the like are dripping with post-modernist, Marxist Critical Theory nonsense… Perpetrators, Victims, Patriarchy, Oppression everywhere, taught in an “intersectional framework.”

6. You’re planning to teach it to other college students.

7. It’s all for helping people, but it doesn’t."
    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-liberal-arts-degrees-worthless-steven-waechter

With all due respect, this is nonsense. "Good" voters are ethical and present, nothing more than that. Trying to judge better human beings particularly through the lens of their college major is a colossal recipe for failure.

tirk likes this.
  9. stevescookin

An education is not a means to an end....it's an end itself.

Meaning the purpose is not to get a high paying job necessarily, but to make a better human being.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Sounds good but tell that to those who are paying thousands of dollars a semester and taking out student loans that they will be paying back for years. When I started LSU I intended to get my degree and then go to law school. My major was general studies. I took a lot of history and psychology type courses to avoid the really hard math and science classes that a lot of majors required. When I ended up not going to law school for various reason I thought, well, I have a degree. I'll just get a job for a couple of years and go back when I'm better off financially. What a shock to find out the job market for general studies majors was pretty non existent. I ended up becoming a self employed house painter for 2 years living from one job to the next. At least the cost of tuition then was low enough that I wasn't in debt for student loans.

stevescookin likes this.