So Russia is taking over the Ukraine

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by islstl, Mar 1, 2014.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I hope he's enjoying it. The times they are a changin'.

3. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

What is a baseless claim? The treaty is fact sport as Red noted also as Red noted the comment you quoted could have come straight from Pravda. You assume poorly my comment was in support of Red's.

4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

He's never been below 60 % in 14 years of rule. Not exactly what I would call a small sample space.

5. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

The Russians supported the Tsar as they marched into German lines without weapons in 1913/4. They followed the commies as long as they were strong leaders and will follow Putin as well. The Russians are conditioned to follow a strong leader through thick and thin and have been for over 500 years (Ivan the Terrible). They don't really understand democracy nor do they want it.

6. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

No dude. You made another assertion that I only read Russian propaganda.
    You keep responding to me as if I defend Russia.

I am asking Red questions. I am asserting nothing. The point at which the US should be involved is unclear to me as this is more of a European issue than ours.

No shit I understand the global implications, however this is nothing more than a pissing match. We are better than this. Though calling his bluff after he moves, to me, seems pointless.

Moves should have been made well before Putin acted IMO. Now we are late to the party.

I'd rather the European Nations step up and take the lead for once.

7. Kino74

Kino74 Founding Member

Putin can be dealt with harshly if you hit him where it hurts ie his wallet. Seize assets and freeze bank accounts. Since Putin is such a fan of exporting supersonic cruise missiles and anti ship missiles, make it a condition for lifting the freeze to restrict those systems. Play the cards right and you can trap him. If not then he will bully Ukraine into submission and reap the rewards.

8. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

What's the world gonna do? Wars haven't been white on white for a long time.

LSUMASTERMIND likes this.
  10. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Like most issues there is not ean asy answer.

When Panama, Grenada,and for you older folk, the Domincan became unstable, we, the US of A moved in. We put troops on the ground to protect Americans and American Interest (money).

It is hard to argue, from the Russians perspective, that the Ukraine is now unstable, so they have moved in to protect their interest. Not that it is right, correct, or legal, but that is how real politik is played. Treaties by damned, if anyone thinks the Russians will let the Crimea get away from them they are hallucinating. You can cite whatever treaties you like, but the Russians are not now and never will lose their only warm water port and Naval Facility.

It may turn out that Ukraine flag flies over the Crimea, or it may turn out that the Russian flag flies over the Crimea, but it is not gonna be a lot different regardless. The Russians did what they wanted and went and came when they wanted down there.

The best strategy is to make Putin (who I like) look like a grand asshole at the UN and to and by the European Union. Flaying him in the court of public opinion, along with meaningful sanctions and penalties will be the best tack. There is no military solution. But he can be humbled if we can get the Euros (and by some chance) the Chinamen to condemn him, in public, harshly, and repeatedly.

Frankly, turning over the Crimea to the Ukraine seems to me to be a more bogus step (against the historic tide) that putting Russian troops on the ground there to protect Russian interests.