So somebody explain to me why Tre Mason won't push Jameis Winston for the Heisman?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Dec 9, 2013.

1. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

who did he rape?

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Big Ben Rapelisberger. In that vein.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Bo Wallace is a heisman finalist?

4. islstl

No but Tre Mason and Johnny Fooseball are going to be there.

5. asignupe99

asignupe99 Founding Member

Geez, a week ago most of you guys were saying Winston should win if he beats the rape charges. Now Mason should win and Winston hasn't had a Heisman moment? Come on. A week ago Mason wasn't even thought of. His SECCG performance was certainly impressive...but he's not even the best RB in his own league much less the best in the country. What do Gurley/Hill/Yeldon do with 40 carries?

This thing is over with. They're just giving a few extra guys a free trip from Orlando to New York.

LSUDad likes this.
  6. LaSalleAve

I never said anyone should win it. But I would go with Mason over Winston. Mason was a beast of a running back in the SEC. Winston lit up the ACC, big deal.

7. asignupe99

SEC defenses weren't exactly setting the world on fire this year LaSalle. And the one that was the best before injuries destroyed them (Florida) lost to an ACC team when the D was still dominant (Miami). I'm just saying, the guy wasn't even considered until after Saturday. Not saying he hasn't had a great season, but one game wins it for you? One where you ran it 46 times? So the guy who wasn't considered last week wins over the guy who most say would be the top pick if he could come out this year?

There are several backs who could do what Mason did given that volume of carries. Hell we have at least two on our team. There's not another freshman QB who could do what Winston did.

And now that I'm saying this...I'm now expecting this thing to be closer than it should be...LOL!

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  8. LaSalleAve

you are right, the defenses were down, but I would venture they better than ACC defenses. I'm really just sick of seeing this award go to the quarterback flavor of the day.

9. islstl

I asked why hasn't he been considered until after it was too late?

10. asignupe99

I would say he hasn't been considered before then because he wasn't doing anything extraordinary until the SEC Championship game. He was putting up very good numbers, but so were several other RBs. This isn't me trying to slight Tre Mason because he has had an outstanding season. Kudos to Malzahn for giving him the workload to produce that way. But before last weekend he was overshadowed by several other backs, including the 2000 yard guy at BC. I would bet if he had been in consideration prior to that, last weekend's effort would've won it for him. And I concede that it still might, I just find it difficult to fathom. He probably played himself into 2nd place. I do understand where you're coming from though...looking at his game by game stats, why was he not more in consideration before that. Then I go back to, what would Hill/Gurley/Yeldon do with 46 carries...

This reminds me of Honey Badger in 2011, where he was really in the background all season as far as Heisman contenders went, then exploded in his last two games. I still believe he would've ultimately won the thing if he had scored on that 2nd punt return against Georgia when it looked like someone was playing PS3 and kept hitting the juke button.