So what will it take to beat UT

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TexasTigers, Dec 9, 2002.

1. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Lets be honest with ourselves guys. LSU has a tall order to beat UT. Since Florida, LSU has been less then stellar. However there is hope. Now dont flame me, I am stating my opinion.

I think LSU has a shot if and only if we contain Cedric Benson. This guy is a stud. Their D can give up the big pass play. The problem, we dont have a QB that can complete a big pass play.

So here is what LSU needs to do to beat the Vaunted UT longhorns. In my opinion

A. It will be easy to outcoach Mack Brown. I think most UT fans will admit Brown can recruit his tail off but has yet to coach a big time game very well. (At least the ones in my office say that)

B. Contain Benson and force Chrissy to beat us. Which if Chris "I am overrated and overhyped" Simms has one of his OU Days. We have a shot. Benson could win a game by himself. Also Jack Hunt better get ready to lay some helmet

C. Find ANY.. I mean ANY form of offense. We must put some points on the board. We wont be able to hold UT to 17 points. Plain and simple. This game will require 30 points to win. Get them on defense who care, but get them on the board. There only losses where to OU who is great on D, and in a shootout to Texas Tech - Last time I checked, Randall is no Kingsbury.

I guess I am saying something everyone already knows. UT is a great team, beat K.State at home, and lost to a very powerful OU team. We have a chance but will have to have a Florida like performace. The UK, AUburn, Alabama, Arky, Ole Miss games wont hunt.

I am NOT trying to give us know chance, or ANTI-LSU on this. Just stating my opinion being awash in Big 12 in Dallas I know a bit about UT. They are a strong team and since Florida LSU has not been the powerhouse we have been recently.

I think it is winnable, assuming we got some breaks AND we stop Cedric Benson. They lost Texas Tech in a shootout. We have no QB to speak of, so D wins this game (Again for us)

Geaux Tigers - Saw Em off.

2. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

We'll need to have a game like the Texans had yesterday -- 47 yards of total offense, give up over 400 yards on defense, yet win 24-6.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Texas is NOT invincible. Their NCAA stats are not that lofty. LSU will need to bring their "A" game to win, but a win is an absolute possibility.

We need MINIMUM TURNOVERS. No fumbles form Toefield and no interceptions from Randall.

We need GOOD FIELD POSITION. Coverage teams need to stop them short and Davis needs to break some big returns. Jones needs to average over 45 yards a punt.

We need CONSISTANT 3rd-DOWN PLAYS. The offense must control the ball to keep UT offense and LSU defense off the field.

We can beat these guys.

4. PoorAggies

PoorAggies Freshman

If the run gets shut down effectively and Simms is pressured then it could get pretty hairy.

Mack's won a number of 'Big Games'. Our last two losses against OU have been all Greg Davis (our offensive coordinator). He's very conservative.

5. SAHorn

SAHorn Freshman

Agree with PA

Just stop what little running game we have and pressure the QB. I am sure your coaches are watching the OU tapes from any of the last 3 games...

6. TexasTigers

What little running game ??? You have one of the Best Running backs in the Game in Benson.

I have been doing some reading. Everyone is predicting LSU to get Blown out.....

UT is not un-beatable. But when UT brings it, they are one of the best teams in the nation. I sound I sound like a UT suck up. But I have seen UT all year and heard about them on TV and Radio here in Dallas. So I guess I am just worried we have lost to many weapons to go toe to toe with UT....

7. SoLa in NoIll

The score of this game could be like the scores of past LSU-UT games. If we can effectively shut down Benson and pressure Simms, we can limit UT's scoring. Our passing D is still very good, so we should play well against the pass. Our offense is still anemic, and UT should be able to force Randall into passing situations (not his strong suit). If both Ds play well and the turnovers and special teams miscues are limited, it could make for a low scoring game.

8. NORTHTEXHORN

NORTHTEXHORN Founding Member

I am not a big Chris Simms fan but the kid has come on the second half of the season. He finally started to look like we thought he would. Still has tendacies to look down his primary recievers! If he is on and Davis decides to open things up, then it will be track meet! Our defense you just never know! Could be the best in the nation or could fall flat on their face! Much of the season we were rated among the top 5, I think as high as #2 in the country overall! We have had some meltdowns but I think that is mainly due to a rash of injuries over the last couple of games. If they are at full strength they are a force! We have some very talented backups but not much experience! Mack has a way of not getting our backups much PT! NTH

9. TexasTigers

Actually we were ranked Number 1 in the nation until the Alabama game. Now I believe we are 5 in Total Defense.
    We held Arkansas to I beleve 40 yards passing until that fateful last 20 seconds.

10. SoLa in NoIll

You're right, TT, we're #5 in total defense, but #2 (behind Miami) in passing defense. With the Bama, Auburn and Arkansas games, the rushing D has plummeted.