So what will it take to beat UT

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TexasTigers, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Doc_Horn

Doc_Horn Freshman

i think this could be a really good game

if lsu shows up with their a game and texas does not, a distinct possibility, then lsu will win this game

if mack gets his team focused and fired up
    then i think lsu will have trouble containing our offenses and have trouble scoring on a defense that is very fast

lots of uncertainties here, which , of course, leads to a lot of possibilities including an lsu victory

2. Nobis

Nobis Freshman

Well, NTH may have his head somewhat up his ass, but he makes a few somewhat accurate points.
    The o-line has chronically underperformed this year - many studs, poor schemes. This will hopefully change next year, as I think Mack has run out of patience with a couple of assistants...

That said, however, Simms has gotten used to it and been much better at decision-making and getting rid of the ball quickly. He can and will burn you deep, especially if Roy gets a step on the DB, which he most assuredly will. As has been noted, it all depends on what kind of game our OC decides to call.
    Benson is good, and has another 1,000+ yd season, but he needed an awful lot of carries to get there. A promising frosh, Selvin Young, has also gotten lots of PT this year and is cat-quick - occasionally returns kicks - & very dangerous.

Our special teams have been hot and cold - great returners & some blocked kicks, but some boneheaded coverage on occasion and we generally did not play the field position game well. This is one area where LSU could gain an advantage. Vasher & Babers have more than made up for the loss of Jammer and Brooks in the secondary (the Tech game notwithstanding) - you won't have much room for error throwing at them - they can definitely take picks to the house. The Texas DL is solid if not spectacular, with Redding and Tubbs leading and some promising youngsters coming on strong. See the KSU & A&M games.

Best bet is to try and pick up some tough yards on the ground (see OU game) - Dominick Davis looks like a capable hoss - and maybe try a little play action w/ short routes to loosen up our LBs - we have DJ, who is everywhere, but the rest are young and/or poorly utilized by your old friend Bull Reese. Notice also that good passing teams have had success against us in recent years - usually more to do with lack of pressure up front than our secondary (see TTech game). Also mostly a scheme problem.

Bottom line - we can win on talent alone if we come to play and don't turn it over or give up a lot of big plays. If we go deep early it could be a long day for you Tigers. Or you guys could come in spitting nails and get an early jump on us and we'll have a nice little dogfight on our hands. Either way, pack a lunch.

3. SAHorn

SAHorn Freshman

Texastigers

Correction - we have 2 great RBs - Benson and Young. However, with an offensive coordinator that is more predictable than the sunrise and a blocking scheme that just does not work - we rank 71st in the nation in rushing.

4. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

On defense, LSU is just plain unpredictable.

Sometimes we can string together a full strong game (aka Florida, Miss St, USC), other games we struggle on a play or two (aka Arky), other games we fight hard and then take off an entire series or two and then pack it in (aka Bummer), and yet in other games the defense does OK, but plays with their back against the wall the entire game due to mistakes (VT and Auburnt).

IF we bring it 100% for 100% of the game, I don't think that anyone can score more than 14 on us. The D is that strong. When we have a sputtering O and/or give the ball away, we fall apart and give up 30+.

I think that the LSU D will have trouble with UT's style of attack. Pretty balanced and pretty versatile. If we lay back, they mix it up and move up and down the field. If we go at them, they eat us up with short passes or break it big. We need to be very aggressive going after the QB but stop the long play (tackle the receiver before the ball gets there if needed :eek: ). IMO, Bend bend bend and they will eat us alive. Go get them! That is what I want to see! But I don't know enough about the UT offense to know exactly what we should do. I trust the LSU coaches on this one.

On Offense, we just need to stay BALANCED. Get in the eye and mix it up. Spread it out and mix it up. Just keep them on their toes (and then knock them down). Wanna really throw them off? Get in the shotgun and DON'T hand it off the entire game!!! :) Now is not the time to keep it simple for the "new" QB's sake. We have three weeks to prepare. Make him earn his place on next year's team. I know he blew it at AU, but trust him anyway. I think that a lot of LSU fans want the offense to be conservative in order to "not lose the game" for us. But I think that that is a recipe for disaster. Show the players that you are serious about scoring! Take it to them. Go straight at them and make their 8-9 guys in the box stop us. Run them over and then throw it over them when the LBs and safeties step up. Slants, rollouts, quick throws combined with running it right at them. Our Offensive line does a pretty good job of run blocking, let's use it. It worked pretty well against the Hogs and they had a D that was comparable to UT. I don't mind Randall throwing the bomb every now and then to keep them on their toes as long as it is not picked off (which it won't be since he rarely gets it within 10 yards of any players). Win the game 24 to 21.

All that being said... you never know what team will show up for a bowl game. Each team will have new wrinkles. These games are usually decided by these wrinkles. (wouldn't it be a surprise for Randall to throw 4 bombs for TDs in this game :) ).

5. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

We seem to have the same story with special teams. Davis has been an excellent returner, but he's had several TDs nullified for block in the back or holding penalties. Also, we've had a few kicks blocked, both punts and field goals. A long return could be key for us, though, because field position should play a big part in our offensive scheme. Special teams may prove to be very important, especially if both defenses play well.

6. NORTHTEXHORN

NORTHTEXHORN Founding Member

Geez Nobis, head up my ass somewhat! Thanks for the kind words! NTH

7. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

One more thing -- Saban seems to coach his best when he feels he has nothing to lose. The SEC Championship game last year is a prime example (going for it on 4th and 1 on LSU's 23, going for it on 4th and goal). Others include the 2000 Tennessee game and this year's Florida game. The Cotton Bowl should be another game in which LSU should play like it has nothing to lose.

8. Nobis

Nobis Freshman

Will Toefield or Mauck be back by New Years? Would Saban use them if they were? Toefield is a stud, i'd say.

9. Toefield has been back for the last 2 or 3 games (although he has developed a slight fumble problem with his arm being hurt). Mauck is definitely out, the word I have heard is that he might not even be back for the spring.

10. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

UT Fans no fighting ;)