So what will it take to beat UT

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TexasTigers, Dec 9, 2002.

1. occstud

occstud Freshman

I think that you all will find that Cedric Benson will not hurt LSU as much as people are saying. The defensive line and linebackers should be able to keep him in check. The true question is whether anyone can stop Roy Williams from making BIG PLAYS. Williams is now close to 100% and that should scare the LSU defensive backs coach.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

LSU can defend the pass and has been highly rated all year. Last year we gave up the big play too often, this year we have not.

Stopping the run has been hot and cold. But if Texas doesn't establish a passing game, LSU can stack the middle and stop any running game.

Conversely, if the LSU offense can't make the pass effective, UT will do the same to our running game. With Mauck out we just haven't been consistent on offense. Our top 3 running backs are hosses, but they have seen too much of the 8 & 9 man box this year, because the passing game wasn't there.

LSU has had excellent play all year from the return team and the coverage team who give great field position. We will need it.

As usual, field position and turnovers will dictate LSU's success.

3. Luckily our defensive strength is against the pass but I aggree that RW will be very dangerous.

4. burlesontiger

burlesontiger Founding Member

No sweat guys, piece of cake........

we show up with these cool gold jerseys and white helmets, and we're unstoppable!! Notre Dame doesn't stand a chance!!!

5. Hub

Hub Founding Member

Haven't a clue if we can win or not but a couple of things I like:

1) Saban 3 weeks to prepare his team:D :D :D

2) Pure "Pocket Passer" QB in Simms; We've had trouble with teams with versatile QB's; 1 less "spy" needed on D;

3) 3 weeks to get healthy(ier);

Things I don't like:

1) Probably the best receiving corp we've played against this year...Honestly can't think of anyone even close;

2) Late season problem with defending the run has had nothing to do with who the back was; We've just gotten blown off the line; So whether it's Cedric Benson or Cedric the Entertainer at RB, if we can't hold up at the line they will be able to run; Kinda think #3 in the "likes" will help this some;