So where does Texas Want to Be Back in the Holiday Bowl

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DeafValleyBatnR, Dec 8, 2002.

1. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

A little history on Texas the last 4 years in Bowls. It has a little bit to be desired.

2001 Holiday Bowl

# 9 Texas vs # 21 Washington

47 to 43 Winner But the Great Chrissy Simms had to be replaced because Washington was wearing him out.

2000 Holiday

#12 Texas vs # 8 Oregon

Loser 30 to 35 these are the Ducks, yeah the Ducks, how do you lose to a Duck?

1999 Cotton Bowl

#14 Texas vs # 24 Ark

Loser 6 to 27 Yeah the Pigs huge rival you would think Texas would be up for this game

1998 Cotton Bowl

# 20 Texas vs # 25 Miss St.

winner 35 to 11 yeah the door mat of the SEC Miss St. not going to give them much credit here.

Before this they played in the Sugar in 1995 losing to VT and 1996 Fiesta losing to PSU this was all before the BCS. So when they give you hell about LSU just remind them we have actually been in the BCS and CHRISSY never has. Looks to me Texas likes to read their Press Clippings and these guys basically sucked from 1985 to 1998 with 3 good years in those 13 years.

2. Elgigante

Elgigante Freshman

DeafValleyBatnR

Texas fans are still living in the D. K. Royal days. They think they are the elite football program in the country. Austin is nice...but elite football school no more. Yes, they have finished in the top 10 the last few years...but what has that gotten'em??? Nothing! Just a few recruiting national championships. They hate their OC, Greg Davis, want to fire him. A poor shwoing against LSU's D and that just might happen from what I hear??? They think they have the best players, head coach and football traditions. But really gets me about UT fans...they think they are the tits! I mean they think the sun rises and sets because of UT. I've got news for them...yes they were a great football program @ one time. They were the Jones! But now they are just in the middle with the rest of the also's. There is one elite program as of right now...Miami! Everyone else can be beatin on any give day. They will learn this one day. Their fans will con't to overlook LSU...I will have fun watching all my UT neighbors sit in amazement after an 8-4 LSU team takes'em to the woodshed! :D

Elgigante

3. Bee Gee

Bee Gee Freshman

Chris Simms never played in the most recent Holiday Bowl. Major Applewhite started and ended that game. He started piss poor and we were down around 20 in the third.

We came back in the fourth to win.

Chris Simms did start the first Holiday Bowl. Threw three straight balls into the hands of receivers in the endzone to end the game. Would have won if any had been held onto.

Those same Ducks finished top ten that year and the next were the second best team behind Miami last year. Remember the NU fiasco when the Ducks got sent to Fiesta and didn't get their chance to play for the marbles.

Lost to the Piggies in the Cotton Bowl. Something tells me you know how that one feels. Three best players were suspended for team violations (failed a dope test).

Before that, we sucked ass. Makovic did good things for our offense, but the defense tackled like fags. The program was on hard times from 84 to Mack's arrival with flashes of being above average during that long walk through the desert.

We finally have NC caliber talent on campus. We're still climbing the mountain. I think Mack will be the one to get us there. We might have to change the Offensive Coaching staff, to rectify some shortcomings.

I hope for a good game, but with the hopes and expectations for the season, many Horn fans are disappointed. I hope the team shows up to play. If that is the case, then I like our chances.

4. SAHorn

SAHorn Freshman

Agree with Bee Gee

And give the arrogance stuff a rest. So far, in browsing your board, it seems like every other school's fans have an "arrogance" problem. Give it a rest.

Yep, a lot of Horns are arrogant. It comes from the fact that for about 100 years, every team this side of Elk Snot, Montanta would tear down the goalposts after beating Texas. Even if they beat a really BAD Texas team - which we fielded quite a few of in the last 20 years. Some (Tech) still do. If we are treated as the center of everyone's universe, some folks will start to act that way. It's no excuse, just an explanation.

I am looking forward to playing LSU just because it has not happened in my lifetime. Should be fun - good fans and I hope to the Lord, good weather. Bad weather in Dallas on Jan 1 can be down-right miserable.

But, I am also disappointed. We coached ourselves right out of the BigXII and national picture... again. And, we stand to gain almost nothing but "feel good" points IF we beat LSU. Not because it is LSU, but because if you believe the rankings, we should beat LSU. No points if we do win, and we get raked over the coals if we lose.

Compare that to the OU fans who pouted after losing to OSU and did not go to their team's victory in the Big XII Championship. I was there - the biggest cheer was when they showed some moron doing the "Horns down" sign on the Jumbotron (see: being the center of everyone's universe above). That would be like me doing the "Baylor down" sign when we play you guys - what's the point?

College fans are as varied anything else. I can't speak to LSU fans except that I hear they are rowdy and can out-party most. From the LA folks that I know - I don't doubt it.

Geaux Horns!

5. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Yeh and Applewhite is a Baton Rouge Boy !!!!

6. SAHorn

SAHorn Freshman

I almost forgot

Baton Rouge and grew up a 'Bama fan, went to Texas and, no offense to Chris, got screwed out of his job. He could still run for, and win, mayor of Austin.

7. NORTHTEXHORN

NORTHTEXHORN Founding Member

Alright TexasTiger now you sound like a Gooner! I would submit that LSU has had quite a few more Texas boys than UT has had LA. kids! Care to wager on that one? In fact I would say there are Texas kids on LSU's roster every year! I dont think you want to roam too far into that conversation! NTH

8. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

NOR"HT"TEXHORN, are you bragging about our having more Texas kids on our roster than UT having Louisiana kids? Are you saying that we come into your backyard and sometimes out-recruit the best recruiter in the country and steal some of your state's talent?

To answer your question, yes, there are Texas boys on LSU's current roster. And, we've got a few commitments from Texas in the 2003 class.

What, then, is your point?

9. NORTHTEXHORN

NORTHTEXHORN Founding Member

Thanks for pointing out my Typo! Just havnt had time to correct it! My point was in response to another poster pointing out Applewhite is from La.! And Yes mack gets the best Texas recruites! Just hasnt figured out how to do do a lot with them! So tell me, are you anxious for me to have a point? Sure seems like you are ready to unleash on me about that topic! NTH

10. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Nope, you are right LSU recruits Texas heavily. WHo wouldn't. Texas has the best talent in High School in the U.S (Florida and California bringing up second)

Yes he was a Bama fan, my favorite watering hole in Baton Rouge by my house is called Jones Creek Cafe. Applewhites dad hangs out there, there is an autographed Helmet and Ball from Applewhite and Mack Brown. I have a feeling that has been temporarily removed !!!!

What is a Gooner ??? (Dare I ask ;)