So who is starting at QB?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Go!Hogs!, May 7, 2011.

1. Go!Hogs!

Go!Hogs! Freshman

Jefferson or Mettenberger? I think Miles is going to start Jefferson. His to lose. But at the first sign of crapping his pants... He is done.

In Schlabach's new Top 25 the SEC still has seven in the poll. The SEC West still on top!

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I expect Jeffenberglee to start.

3. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

jefferson, and if he doesn't measure up (and I hope he does) he will be pulled long after the forum has gone nuts about it.

I can see it as clear as moonlight through the pines.

4. Mezmorizor

Mezmorizor Founding Member

I suspect it will be a player who is currently enrolled at LSU and is on the football team. But of course this can be way off

5. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

We will see Mett play either way.

6. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

He enrolled and played in the Spring game.

7. b_leblanc

b_leblanc That's just my game...

Yep. You're not going to recruit the top JUCO qb and not play him.

8. NavyTiger

NavyTiger dunn dunn it all

If JJ struggles against Oregon, I trust CLM to put Mett in sometime in the game. As long as Mett learns the playbook well and has some leadership skills he will get a chance to play if JJ doesn't perform. Easier said then done though however.

9. b_leblanc

b_leblanc That's just my game...

I think there's been a lot of coach speak going on. Everything Coach Miles has said regarding Jefferson and Lee being ahead of Mett, how good Jefferson looks, etc. You can't just outright give the starting qb position to a newcomer but I see Mett starting at some point through the season, but at which time none of us know. It could be as soon as after the Oregon game. Jefferson, Mr. Inconsistent, is just that, inconsistent, and he always has been and probably always will be. Lee, Mr. Pick 6, that was a long time ago, but he always looks good in practice but collapses under game pressure. The starting position is Mett's for the taking.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It could be as soon as August practice. There will be two new rookie quarterbacks around then, and with spring practice behind him, Mettenberger will not be the "new guy" anymore.

If he develops some chemistry with his receivers in summer 7-on-7 and is clearly the top arm . . . I think he'll move up. We can't beat Oregon with a one-dimensional running attack.

Of course, he's green at this level. If Mettenberger starts and fails early, then Les has the experienced senior quarterbacks to bring in. But if Jefferson starts and fails early, then Les has to put in his green quarterback on the road, down three or four scores.

If Mettenberger is to be The Man this season, then the sooner the better, if you ask me. He'll get experience a lot faster in the game than on the bench.