So who thinks we're actually running Gary Crowton's offense?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Sep 5, 2010.

1. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Of course, this is the only logical explanation. We all know that Miles is the buffoon.

2. DRC

DRC TigerNator

No doubt. The numbers are scary identical but this still isnt his offense although those numbers have been his MO throughout his career. His offense gets figured out pretty quick by the opposition. I cant remember if it was Parcells or Belichik who said something to the effect that his offense would be nothing in the NFL once it was figured out and it happened pretty quick as I recall. It's been true wherever he ran his own offense. Starts off great then steady decline. However, what he runs here is not what he ran when he had complete control regardless of the identical numbers. It is pretty eerie though! I guess it doesnt matter what he runs since the end result is the same.

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Honestly, I can't ever remember an OC who was popular with LSU fans for the entirety of his stay at LSU.

4. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

I didn't watch his teams prior to LSU, so I can only go by numbers.

Since 2000
    Crowton (when he was at same team as prev year) led offenses have gone down in production (yards per game) 5 out of 6 years.

Miles' offenses have gone down 4 of 8.
    2 of those 4 with Crowton.

When not on same team as Crowton, Miles' offenses improved 4 outta 6 times.

When not on same team as Miles, Crowton's offenses regressed 3 outta 4 times.

5. Fritzz

Fritzz Founding Member

Yes, but not like back in 03.

Going into the final weekend of the season, three teams were vying for two spots in the Sugar Bowl. USC had one loss -- at Cal in triple overtime, 34-31. As did LSU -- to Florida at home, 19-7. No. 1 Oklahoma was undefeated going into the Big XII title game against Kansas State.

Even before the games were played on that final Saturday, word was that the Sooners would stay No. 1, even if they lost the game. The computers favored Oklahoma by a wide margin, and, since all other teams besides USC and LSU had at least two losses, Oklahoma would not drop to lower than No. 3 in the human polls. Put it together, the Big XII title game was a mere exhibition with very little riding on it.

And the Sooners played like it, getting pasted by Kansas State, 35-7. After LSU beat Georgia in the SEC title game and USC romped past Oregon State, as expected, USC ascended to No. 1 in both polls while LSU moved up to No. 2.

In the penultimate BCS standings, USC had a comfortable lead on LSU (6.90 vs. 8.43). The Trojans were ranked higher in the human polls and computer rankings and also had better strength-of-schedule ratings. The expectation was that USC would play Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl with LSU left to howl.

But then Boise State beat Hawaii. Combined with Syracuse's 38-12 pasting of Notre Dame, the Tigers got enough of a boost to nudge out USC by .16 of a percentage point, getting Oklahoma as their date while the Trojans were left with a Rose Bowl berth against No. 4 Michigan.

The rest is history.

6. Fritzz

Fritzz Founding Member

I've never liked any of them and Crowton is on my list of dislikes.

7. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

And what a lot of people seem to forget, is that Oklahoma's loss in the Big 12 championship game hurt us big time. That was the worst thing that could have happened because it allowed USC to put distance between us and them in the human polls. If Oklahoma wins that game and USC stays #2 in the human polls, we probably wouldn't have needed that wackyness by Boise St. and Syracuse to go our way. It wouldn't have mattered. Our SOS jumped 25 spots mostly just from playing Georgia again, even though we ended up losing the quality win points.

8. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Something that people fail to point out is that his first year at the two schools you bring up were senior-laden, established teams. Stats are great, but they won't tell part of the story. It's why I'm wary of anyone who posts stats without looking at the entire picture. Most people look up the stats that support their pre-determined opinion and not go looking for stats to find the answer.

9. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

If anything that lends even more credibility to the idea that Crowton doesn't know how to develop QBs. You'd expect to see a drop the 2nd year, and modest improvement after that. Not only is there no improvement, but year 2 is followed by a suicide dive to the bottom of the chart. Not once, but twice through 2009. If that's a coincidence, then Gary Crowton is the unluckiest OC ever in college football.

10. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

No comment in regards to your post, but rather an observation of your avatar, whether it has been said or not. I'm sure there are some, although be it few, who think, oh I get it, he is saying you can kiss my ass, but the rest of us, some 17000+ want to see the next 6-10 pics in the sequence just to see what road those 2 lovelies head down. lol