So who transfers.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TexasTigers, Jan 30, 2003.

1. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

With this Lane to Baseball talk, you know the wheels can come shooting off this QB recuriting class in a hurry if Russell signs with FSU (WHich I think he will, not because he does not like LSU but he has seen NO QB's signees with FSU and two top 15's with LSU already)

Anyway, assume Russell signs with FSU, then Lane gets drafted high and leaves for Baseball. That leaves us with Flynn. Flynn is great and I am very excited to have him as a tiger.
    But that does change the landscape of Red55's excellent post and what all we are talking about.

Basically I just realized this QB class we are all talking about is pretty much still in the balance big time.

2. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

Thanks for the welcome. It's actually a common thing for me to see LSU bumber stickers, plates, flags in Dallas...Every now and then I will see a Louisiana plate with an LSU sticker while driving on Central EXP during traffic, its always a great site...

3. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

I think it's common for a player to play both football and minor league baseball, as long as they aren't a top round pick with a major signing bonus. A couple players that I can think of are Quincy Carter and Cedric Benson.

4. Mojo74

Mojo74 Founding Member

Ricky Williams did the same.

5. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

I know this for a Fact

You can be a Pro and play college ball as long as you are not a Pro in the sport you play in College. Also if Lane comes to LSU and plays both baseball and football he would be on a football scholarship I dont know why but I know that is the rule.

Jamie Howard LSU qb in the 90's was a Pro Baseball player and played football at LSU. I dont know when this rule was put in but I also remeber Bubby Brister signed at ALABAMA and the Detroit Tigers drafted him. He played one year and came back to College football but he was unable to play in the SEC so he had to go to Tulane becuase then you could not ever be a Pro in anything. That was in the early 80's.

6. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

Re: baseball schlorship not option

I believe LSU had a guy by the the name of Jeremy Whitten, I think, was on a baseball scholly and played football. He was a punter.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Witten played both sports but football payed his scholarship. Baseball doesn't give full scholarships, they have to be shared between players.

All thanks to Title 9. Female softball players get full scholarships.

8. Eleven

Eleven Founding Member

and softball doesnt bring in NNNEEEEAAARRRR the same amount that baseball does.... what has the world come to??