Social Security

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Feb 15, 2011.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

if you dont want to see these old poeple on the street, then you should pay for them, not take anyone elses money to pay for them.

1 person likes this.
  2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I don't take anyones money.

You're like SabanFan . . . you only care about yourself and nothing about the overall good of the nation.

3. martin

martin Banned Forever

mostly correct, except that in general caring about yourself helps everyone else as well. by not "caring" about others and favoring social security, the economy would be better such that the people i dont care about would have it easier, and the people that do care about them would have significantly mre money available for charity if they care about them.

again, i am aware that the root of liberalism isnt to help others, but to tell yourself that you help others.

the problem that liberals are trying to fix is not the world, it is their own anxiety about being a good person.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Who's going to look out for me and my family? The nation? That's a laugh.

5. red55

Perhaps, but I'm not a liberal and I didn't say anything about helping others. Try to pay better attention. What I said was I care about the overall good of the nation.

The best nation on the planet should be caring about its elderly and disabled people. Thank goodness it is.

6. red55

Yes, damn it. If you become disabled tomorrow, SS disability will cover you. I have to buy disability insurance. Your turn 65 and you and your spouse will receive SS benefits, even if you blow your whole savings in Vegas. It will cover your widow if you drop dead.

No, it won't replace your paycheck or your pile, but it will keep you in your house, pay utilities, and buy groceries for you.

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

of course you arent.

the greatest good comes from allowing people to manage their own lives. that means letting them keep their own money and deciding who they want to help.

the way to really help people is to give them freedom.

8. red55

Freedom and social security are not mutually exclusive, obviously.

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

i dont mean you are not free like you are in a cambodian torture prison, i mean you are not free to spend as much of what you earn as you should. we should always look to maximize our freedom to manage our own money.

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I paid for that. The government isn't giving me squat.