Soldier stands at attention for hours to watch LSU championship

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by saltyone, May 6, 2008.

1. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

What a great story. Make sure you read the entire article. There are no finer people than Louisianians and there are no finer Louisianians than LSU Tiger Fans.

http://www.americanpress.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2571&Itemid=96

2. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

can you describe the ready one position better for me? is the rifle held with one or two hands? --because is palms are up then you turn the rifle vertical, well may be impossible to keep your back straight.

is the end of the butt of the rifle in the palm, so that the gun almost balances in the hand? that too seems weird.

3. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Rested on the shoulder with elbow at 45 degree angle butt held in palm. Not easy and certainly challenging for any time beyond 15 minutes. Ya got "he-man" at 15, Stud for anything beyond! Not exactly a chick magnet though.

1 person likes this.
  4. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

is this it?

[​IMG]

5. CajunlostinCali

Snappy. That would be even heavier then an M-16. They remove the bolt but still a fixed bayonet puts that weight right back. Respect.

6. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

so, that pic is the "ready one" position?

7. CajunlostinCali

If I remember correctly, yes. He is at attention and prepared to present arms (Salute) or a preparatory to step off in a march. This position is also the prepetory position to present a rifle for inspection.

8. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I don't know anything about this topic however the article describes something quite a bit more difficult than the picture demonstrates. The article said the arm was straight out, not bent at the elbow, the fingers gripped the butt end and the rifle (sans bayonette) was straight up so that the arm and rifle were at 90 degrees. Doing that for 15 minutes or more is truly remarkable.

9. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

scooter didnt mention this.

helluva lot tougher than holding a rifle

"They must commit 2 years of life to guard the tomb, live in a barracks under the tomb, and cannot drink any alcohol on or off duty FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES. They cannot swear in public FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES and cannot disgrace the uniform {fighting} or the tomb in any way. "

http://www.ssbn608.org/sea_stories_tomb.htm

10. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

One of my neighbors growing up was a member of the Old Guard and guarded the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. The Old Guard is highly selective and only the elite of the group can guard the tomb. These folks are completely amazing.

One of the most intimidating things I have ever seen in my life was at the tomb. One of the other tourists had a pinky toe across the line you aren't supposed to cross and the guard stopped in his tracks and barked "Sir, step back from the tomb." His voice was so deep and commanding that I will never forget it.