Soldier stands at attention for hours to watch LSU championship

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by saltyone, May 6, 2008.

1. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i was wondering if its more like this.

2. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

I used the assumption that the elbow was bent as the article does not state the elbow is not bent. You are correct however that the picture does not depict the drill mentioned. After digging around I found that Nootches pic depicts a position called "Shoulder Arms".

The drill mentioned I believe is just that, a drill. Not a position typically used in ceremony. Below is a picture which closely resembles a portion of the drill as depicted by what was then East Berlin, their own Tomb ceremony. What is pictured is the marching position however when at attention to the entrance to the tomb the right arm is dropped with the rifle in it's current position. This ceremony I was fortunate to view just over a dozen times while on tour of then East Berlin. The picture is of the Tomb in Moscow however the same procedure is replecated in Berlin. My apologies as time has rusted my thinking a bit! :hihi:

[​IMG]

3. khounba

khounba Founding Member

Bandwidth gone! :eek::lol:

4. CajunlostinCali

That I think is a winner. Nice find. I was looking for an example which quoted the position but I have not found one. Calling Ft. Knox now. :hihi:

5. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Is he balancing that thing? That would seem like the hard part. If you could rest it on your shoulder that's certainly tough after a while but if you're balancing, I could honestly say I don't think I could do any better than about 2 or 3 minutes much less hours.

6. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

That is pretty impressive.

7. CajunlostinCali

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-dBwdeJSGo&feature=related

8. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

http://www.army.mil/oldguard/SpecialtyPlatoons/TombFAQ.htm

Is it true they must commit 2 years of life to guard the Tomb, live in a barracks under the tomb, and cannot drink any alcohol on or off duty for the rest of their lives

No, this is a false rumor. The average tour at the Tomb is about a year. There is NO set time for service there. The Sentinels live either in a barracks on Ft. Myer (the Army post located adjacent to the cemetery) or off base if they like. They do have living quarters under the steps of the amphitheater where they stay during their 24-hour shifts, but when they are off, they are off. And if they are of legal age, they may drink anything they like, except while on duty.

Is it true they cannot swear in public for the rest of their lives?

Again, another fallacy.

9. lsubatgirl04

lsubatgirl04 Cupcake Thief

10. CajunlostinCali

"It is requested that all visitors remain behind the (cant understand) rail"