Some anthony randolph news

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by upsizin, Jun 20, 2008.

1. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

when has this happened? shaq, duncan

and how would you know if they improved their stock if they were already "projected" to be lottery picks?

2. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

It has to do with development. Had Brandan Wright stayed at North Carolina this past year he would have been drafted near the same or higher, but he definitely would not have bounced up and down between the d-league which will hurt his contract next year.

3. clair

clair Rockets

nothing against Randolph, but I don't see him being a real legit pro. I just don't.

He is not nearly as lanky and athletic as Tyrus was/is, but is just as raw.

Look what Tyrus has done in the NBA: A whole lot of nothing. His 2 most memorable headlines have been missing practices and talking junk about the Dunk Contest.

4. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

randolph has reasonable potential to develop an offensive game. never saw that with tt

5. clair

clair Rockets

I agree with you.

But there just are not many players in the NBA who make it and become great when you have to learn how to play offense.

it's normally inside out and you learn the defense first.

Put it this way: and again, I hope, I am wrong about him, but will he ever be as skilled and accomplished an offensive player as a guy like Tayshawn Prince?

B/c they are similar in length and size. I'd love to see that path for his career.

6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

and i agree with you.

no, i dont see him becoming like prince.

randolph's decision was a bad one because he will find it harder to develop in the nba under the pressure and competition. he may end up getting the $$$ that he wants, but this decision will make it less likely that he will stick in the nba.

ps, heard the gm of the bucks today mention randolph as a possible at their pick--#8.

7. roygu

roygu Founding Member

I feel the same way. He has a lot of potential but unless he dedicates himself completely to improving his game I don't believe he will be in the league very long. He has no game around the basket. For a man his height, he probably set a record for getting his shot blocked. He would never have been able to score on TT.

8. TigerSnarl

TigerSnarl Air Conditioned Gypsy

Get my local paper, the Dallas Morning News, this morning off the front lawn like normal. Flip open to the sports page and was blown away by the large picture of Randolph crashing in for a dunk in his gold LSU uniform. Here in the middle of little 12 country, I can't recall this much written about a LSU player in any sport...ever. Obviously, Randolph is a local kid and it is a nice write up...

http://www.hsgametime.com/dfw/share.../stories/062508dnsporandolph_hs.37469e3d.html

9. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

you know, usually I agree with you Gumbo, but this is where I'm going to have to disagree.

first off, I actually think Anthony (when he plays hard) showed a decent jumper, slash to the basket and more offensive polish to his game than Tyrus ever did at LSU. His post up game wasn't the best, but he's also 210 lbs and at the pro level he's probably more a 3 than a 4. His defensive intensity is not where Tyrus' was, but heck the guy was averaging like 3 blocks a game at some points of the season, and he showed a willingness to mix it up. So, when you actually compare him to T-Train, he's taller, a little less in weight, but more offensive game, and T-Train went 4th in a relatively weak draft year. Randolph will go top 10 in a deeper draft year. I think we're splitting hairs here and if you've got a chance to go lottery, it's hard to pass up. So in terms of is he a Tashaun Prince, well, remember what Prince was in college. Certainly not what he is right now. I think you underestimate the talent that Randolph has.

Does he need to bulk up a little, work on his game and get used to the mental grind of the NBA? Sure. But, I think if you're going to be a lottery pick, there's no better place to "train" for the NBA than the NBA. I think the honest truth about "staying" in school is kids should stay in school if they want to play for something else, a championship, the love of the college scene, the bond with certain teammates, and the chance to prove something and improve their draft stock. I'm not sure another year in college does anything more for Randolph's draft stock. Perhaps he takes it easy another year and adds a few pounds, plays against SEC competition, and gets drafted around the same place. At the same time, he's got to share time with Tas' and there are some new young guns in CTJ's rotation. Do you pass up lottery and guaranteed millions of dollars? It's real hard to pass up when you put yourself in these kids' shoes. And, if he gets drafted with a patient team that puts him in the right spots, he's going to get better, just playing with better players.

Believe me, I hate to see him go, but if his primary goal going to LSU was to get a chance to play in the NBA and go lottery, he's on the doorstep. And, as I said before, it's part of the game. The last poster makes my point, which is we can just be happy that this kid's name is going to get called on draft night, and all of these Dallas kids are reading about how Anthony went to LSU and when CTJ comes to town, that's going to be something he lays out there. Remember that DeAndre Jordan was a comparably rated big who went to TA&M and probably didn't do anything for his stock. LSU is going down as having sent another lottery big man to the League...

10. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

absolutely, but his jumper is still crap. never will shoot a fg% sufficient for the nba with such a flat shot.

kinda my point. if prince left after one year, do you think he'd be where he is now?

no, he has tons of talent, what he lacks is skill and bball savvy.

absolutely not. for some, certainly. but the nba drafts on potential as much (or more) as ability. now he's gotta handle $$$, entourage, gold-diggers, media, pressure (he had virtually none as the man on an average sec team)----oh, and that little part about developing his game.

completely agree. but thats not my point. if all he cares about is $$$ and getting to the nba, then he has succeeded. might as well retire now. but if he wants to have a career in the nba and not in italy, he should have stayed at lsu and gotten a degree.