Some good reading about some bad times

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by cajdav1, Jan 11, 2005.

1. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I was forwarded this link to a thread about the dark days under Hallman. A few players from that era joined the discussion and it opened my eyes to what happened during those horrible times.

Dark Days

2. Gulf Coast Tige

Gulf Coast Tige Founding Member

That was a great read and it makes me appreciate the program that we have now. :geauxtigs

3. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

That was really interesting reading. I was a student at LSU during the last two years of Archer's tenure and the first two of Hallman's. Those were tough times to be a Tiger, for sure.

4. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

And Joe Dean wonders why his firm wasn't selected to help find our new coach ?

5. Geekboy

Geekboy Founding Member

Has the Guinness organization announced yet that Joe Dean is officially the dumbest human currently on the planet?

6. MikebTiger

MikebTiger Founding Member

I had just graduated and started work when Curly came to LSU. What a dip****. I wonder if Favre has anything good to say about him. I became a season ticket holder in his last year (1995?). What a horror that guy was. And Joe Dean - gawd did the BOS frick things up for so damn long!!! How on earth did we end up with emmert and saban? Dark days indeed.

7. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

Wow -- those stories are quite something. Dark days indeed... I attend grad school at LSU 1983-85 and worked in BR until early '88. I met Mike Archer and thought him to be a classy guy. I never knew about the reasoning for the Hallman hire. Bad news!

I would like to think that most fans who consider themselves knowledgable and savvy about the game realize that on many occasions, it's coaching decisions that win or lose games. The reference to the Jamie Howard/Auburn game comes to mind -- someone mentioned why would you continue to throw with what appeared to be a safe lead in the fourth quarter -- just keep it on the ground and run time off the clock. I never played or coached football on any organized level, but that seems more like common sense to me.

I am sorry to hear that many of the players from those years were treated so poorly, not only by the coaches, but it seems the school administration as well. As fans, we want to see the team win, but we also have to realize there's a human side to this -- true fans support the team win or lose and appreciate the efforts of the players.