Some points about LSU Football Head Coach Les Miles

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerCliff, Jul 23, 2010.

1. SyrTiger

SyrTiger ooo yea thats hot

Miles' title is worth just as much as Saban's. I'm not sure how records previous to LSU really matter in evaluating any of this anyway.

However, a point on that is that coaches can and do mess up even when they come in during good times. My point would be Louisville, who was a national championship contender for a few years under Petrino, has completely fallen off the Earth after Kragthorpe took over and was fired. Getting to the top is hard, but staying there and delivering a title is just as difficult.

2. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

Reality has set in for some, others not yet.

3. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

9-4 with an offense ranked 112th sounds like a miracle to me. If the offense improves to 60th LSU will probably be looking at 10-3, 11-2 at worst. Top 20 offense and LSU is in the national title hunt. I think the Tigers have the offensive tools this year to have a special year- we'll see if Crowton can coach 'em and call a great game.

1 person likes this.
  4. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

There are some of both sides of one fence here. Some of you that are pumping Miles have to continually bash Saban at the same time. Some of you that are anti Miles have to continually pump up Saban at the same time. Neither is productive.

Les Miles is the coach at LSU, Nick Saban at Bama. To try to diminish what Saban did while coach at LSU is silly. Yes, I agree that, although he came into a much worse situation than Miles did, it wasn't as abysmal as it seemed. The situation Dinardo came into, now that was a disaster. Miles came into a situation with a very talented team in his hands, but with the timing of Saban's departure, he had to hustle to secure a decent recruiting class...and did pretty well. His recruiting since has been at LEAST on par with Saban's recruiting while here. Miles has made some boneheaded calls, but let's face it...he's not as hands on as the Saban type...and leaves a lot to his assistants. It's a different approach to coaching, but it can be successful. He just has to have the right assistants. But he hasn't lost to the UABs and ULMs of the world, and has lost ONE non conference game...to a highly rated and favored PSU on a TERRIBLE field for LSUs athletes.
    --
    Saban made changes at Bama DURING his tenure there to improve them, and Miles has done the same. But Miles has had a bunch of coaches leave to become HCs or to take a higher position at another school, and for the most part, has done well in replacing them. The exception is Malveto, and probably Stud. Crowton was a good hire, and we all agreed on that at the time. But HE'S the one on the hot seat this year. The offense is his, and he MUST improve it by leaps and bounds this season. If not, HE must go. If Les doesn't fire him after another abysmal season, THEN Les goes on the hot seat as well...if not worse.
    Saban did it when he replaced Applewhite at OC. Applewhite was Saban's hire, so he's not perfect either. But he did what he had to do to correct his mistake. Les will have to do the same if we have another year like last year.
    -
    But the RP thing really has to be taken into account here too. It's amazing that so much is put on Jefferson, and Lee, without the obvious notice that neither should've been on the field when they were forced to be. They should've been holding clipboards and learning the system...and JJ should be going into his RS Sophomore season. That didn't happen, and Les AND the Tigers have payed the price. I think this is the year it gets corrected...in large part due to leaders ON THE FIELD such as Shepperd, Shepard, and PP. I also think JJ takes a leadership role this year, realizing that others look to him and need to see leadership. I truly believe we see a better product on the field, more because of this than anything the coaches do. It's what's been lacking since the departure of guys like Steltz and Hester and Dorsey. I think we see it this year, and I think it'll be contagious.
    -
    Here's to a great season, and here's to an end of the fans of the same :lsup: being on opposite sides of arguments. As I stated before, reality falls somewhere in the middle of the extremes. All is not perfect...ever. All is not lost either.

5. WestCoastTiger

WestCoastTiger Founding Member

6-3 after Bama game. The last 3 games decide his fate. If he wins out, we finish 9-3 and win the bowl game. 10-3 is respectable.

8-5 and it's good bye for CLM. I'm actually pulling for him. Time will tell. He seems like a good man but that might not be enough in the SEC.

6. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Why all the one liners---hit and run type crap? Why not step into the discussion? Hell, I'm allegedly a "Sunshine Pumper", and I can present facts to blow some of these "sunshine pumping pro Les Miles" posts out of the water. Just discuss things rationally instead of the smart arse remarks. Smacks of droppings...

7. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Who are the 3? I don't see 6-3 after nine games, but it's possible. Just curious. Do you not think we can be 5-0 going into UF, or do you think we lose 3 of the next 4? I have us 5-0 at that point.

8. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Sure I'm serious skooter. I can't help it if you don't want to take credit for what you write.

You dismiss Miles and have done so since he got here. 11+ win seasons, a SECC and a NC are dismissed - by you. So it doesn't really matter what Miles does, you will degrade him and dismiss his accomplishments. Your type is easy to spot, but even easier when you actually w-r-i-t-e it out.

And what about the bet on improvement or decline? Not gonnna bite on that one are you? Put your $ where your mouth is....Cajunpunk. :hihi:

9. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Also droppings style, bro.

10. WestCoastTiger

WestCoastTiger Founding Member

I'm not here to defend DH. But the facts are CLM record looks a lot like Larry Coker from Miami. Coker averaged 10.6 wins for 5 years. He went 6-6 and was fired after 6 years. Throw in a NC in his first year followed by a second trip to the big game in year two. He proceeded to lose 2 games in year 3. The slide started with losing 3 games in years 4 and 5.

The problem I think most people have with CLM is the trend and his inability to make in game adjustments. Add to that the "perception" of lacking intensity on the sidelines and you have the uproar.

Let's see what happens. I can tell you a loss to a very good NC team and all hell could break lose here. Sept 4th should be entertaining on both the field and this board.