Songs that make your skin crawl

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by CajunlostinCali, Feb 22, 2010.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

This now replaces anything I may have nominated for best post ever.

Add whatever the eff that song was by manhattan transfer, cool cool kitty something about a boy from new york city song. Total garbage. Makes me angry just thinking about it.

2. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

I goddam hate Fred Durst. Not a big fan of Eminem, either.

3. downtown

downtown Founding Member

So you love basically listening to a guy scream his balls off in basically every song but "Where the Streets Have No Name" and "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" make your skin crawl? Come on now... And Linkin Park has some cool songs, but the screaming can be too much at times.

Of course, you're entitled to your opinion. Personally, I think "Where the Streets Have No Name" is one of the coolest guitar songs ever. And the other song is a great sing-along song. So I think those are two of their best.

But I'm a U2 fan. Still, I've been mixed on them before. They've made stuff that I didn't really didn't care for and I would change the station fast when it came on. But I think they've always been a great live band. I mean, if you would have said songs like "Vertigo".."Discoteque".."Lemon".."Get On Your Boots" I wouldn't have said anything. They were all radio songs at one time that I didn't like.

And I can say that U2 has sometimes bored me on a CD (but that goes for most bands sooner or later). Also, I agree with Tirk that Bono can be a little much with his seemingly political posturing at times. He definitely likes to hear himself talk. But then again, if I was consistently playing sold out shows to 90,000 people every night, I'd probably think I was God too at times. And I guess they've always been into politics and more serious songs ever since they started out, so I guess it's not really posturing...just overbearing. But overall, he's a very good dude and not near as politically annoying as many of our stars in the U.S.

And they probably gave us the best Super Bowl Halftime show ever in the Dome after 9/11 (well, most people think so anyway). Well, maybe them and Prince tied for me.

4. downtown

downtown Founding Member

Looking through this thread, I recommend that a good number of you have a few beers to chill out. Your skin crawls too easily. Remember, uptightness will make you age much faster.

Well, I try to look for the positive in any songs since it's someone's "art"...but there are those that are difficult.

A few people mentioned "Fireflies" by Owl City and I wouldn't disagree with that. That may be the nerdiest song ever. The lyrics may make some kind of sense to the lead singer, but they make absolutely no sense to anyone else. And then there's the nerdy way he sings it too. I guess he has some cool sounds in there though, so I'll give him credit for that. As popular as it is, apparently many people think it's the worst song ever. You can see that through googling it.

Shiny Happy People - Great pick already mentioned. I liked it when I was like nine or something before my brain developed. And their lead singer said it was meant to be ironic, but still... That $hit is catchy though. But I can see how it might make someone a little nuts.

The bit about the dude from the B-52s gave me a good laugh. Yeah, that dude is over-the-top gay.

"My Humps" from Black Eyed Peas seems to piss me off because it's so irritating. But if I had one that might instantly change my mood it would probably be this one (though I only hear it about once every few years while changing channels):

Suzanne Vega - Tom's Diner - monotone, retardedly repetitive & awful lyrics.
    YouTube - Suzanne Vega feat DNA Tom's Diner ( ORIGINAL OFFICIAL VIDEO )

Someone mentioned anything by Creed. Creed got Hootie and the Blowfished. They just got overexposed so much that people started to hate them for being on the radio every second. They were on too much. That and their lead singer thought he was playing Jesus in a musical or something. Because they definitely came up with some good melodies and cool guitar work. I can see if people didn't like the singer's voice, but they didn't really suck musically. And I will say, that first CD they made before the fame blew up was badazz. Then fame hit and the lead singer went crazy and the gay train started.

By the way, Limp Bizkit was just mentioned. I think they have a candidate for worst CD title ever - Chocolate Starfish and the Hotdog Flavored Water.

Okay, maybe I need a few beers now too. But I give all of these artists credit for putting it out there and trying even if it's not my fave. I think that maybe it's not the songs that irritate me, but rather the payola scams that have certain artists getting played 24/7 when certain songs are pretty bad and don't deserve to be on that much over others.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

stacey, come on, ok here is my impersonation in text of crawling in my skin....

waaah wah wah wah waaaaaah, wah wah wah wah wah waaaaaaaah.

6. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Didn't know he did that song. Some of his stuff is too much pop for me, e. g. "Uptown Girl", but he has some good tunes like "Scenes From An Italian Restaurant" and "New Your State of Mind". My daughter and I have agreed that we will dance to NYSOM at her wedding. I saw him at the P-Mac fka The Assembly Center, he put on a very good show, he was shiny and happy as were the rest of the people in attendance. I almost lost my religion there but thats another story

7. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Here is one I'll thorw out there: Janis Joplin aka Pearl. Wouldn't say her music makes my skin crawl but I never "got" her music.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It was better with the lysergic acid.

9. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

10. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

She was born and raised in Port Arthur TX just across the Sabine River. She was a class mate of Jimmy Johnson (Cowboys coach). I saw her a couple of times at the Big Oaks club. Don't know if she was on acid at the time but she could sure put away the Southern Comfort.

Janice Joplin: Meant to quote Hatcher's post.