Sooners Upset Over Pellini's Departure (?)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TejasTiger, Mar 2, 2005.

1. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Sorry I cannot corroborate this with a link, but some Houston-area TF.com members may have heard this as well (chime in, if you did).

Richard Justice, a senior writer with the Houston Chronicle, was on sports radio this morning chatting about various topics. For whatever reason, Bo Pellini's name came up and Justice said, "Speaking of Pellini, the Sooners are plenty steamed at him for leaving for LSU the way he did."

The conversation came back to this comment a few minutes later and Justice said that Bob Stoops is upset that Pellini basically bailed on him as "late" in the offseason as he did. What was left unsaid was that Stoops believed that Pellini wasn't going anywhere this offseason and was caught off guard.

Let's set aside for a moment the fact that the assertion that an assistant leaving for another school approximately 30 days after the season ends (and approximately 200 days before the next season begins) *and* after national signing day has passed is inappropriate from a timing standpoint is absolutely ridiculous.

Now, what on earth else could cause the OU powers that be to be upset over Pellini's departure? What about this unspoken code all head coaches have to, when possible, allow their subordniates to take new positions and advance their careers without engaging in any backbiting?

Pellini was co-defensive coordinator at OU. He's now *sole* defensive coordinator at LSU, and is being paid handsomely for his services.

WTF, Bob Stoops?

Also, Justice---a Texas Longhorn grad---also said that one reason why Stoops jumped on Pellini after he left Nebraska was to keep Mack Brown from getting him.

Interesting stuff, indeed. The fact that Pellini was so in demand in recent years makes me feel good about the defensive coaching going into this season. :thumb:

2. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Yea, I heard that too. Justice is right more often than not, and does know his Big XII scoop. I was pleased to hear that as well. I'm starting to wish they would merge the SEC and Big 12, just so we could kick the crap out of UT and OU each year.

3. SG_Geaux

SG_Geaux Founding Member

I like it....merge the big 12 and SEC together. Then you never have to play out of conference, and the two division champs play each other for the conference title

4. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Call it "MEGA Conference"

5. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

I don't know that the football team would be able to beat the crap out of UT and OU every year, but we could certainly make sure to beat the crap out of their fans and pee on their grandmas.

:hihi:

6. philter

philter Founding Member

Most OU fans think Bo was semi-forced out. They are sure he was responsible for their defensive breakdowns and that Stoops was kinda looking for a scapegoat anyway.

The Texas guy claiming Stoops hired him (a 30 year hometown friend) to keep him away from Mack Brown is also laughable.

The truth is probably not in that story, when people don't know what they are talking about, and they get paid to talk, you get time-filler.

7. BamaHeelBengal

BamaHeelBengal Founding Member

"I'm starting to wish they would merge the SEC and Big 12, just so we could kick the crap out of UT and OU each year."

I'm with ya NoLimit. I'm so tired of hearing how good the Big 12 is. OU wouldn't go undefeated every year in the SEC. Speaking of which, UGA's defensive ends coach decided to stay there instead of transferring to OU.

8. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

JMO, but Bob Stoops is a bush-league HC that wouldn't know sportsmanship from Shinola. His incessant whining and pandering are beginning to earn him a reputation that makes Lou Holtz's poormouthing look tame by comparison.

He was tolerable while being mentored by the OBC and having a cupboard full of talent, but now his act is becoming threadbare .......much easier to see through. (Hey Peabody....nothing personal :yelwink2: )

This is where Stoops should be working: (link)

http://www.killsometime.com/humor/humor.asp?humor=BurgerKing

9. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Here it is Bob, you are informed, ignorance isn't an excuse .

10. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody Founding Member

I know some, a few, fans think good riddance for him. I know others that were sad to seem him go.

Some blame him for the poor defensive secondary performance this past season. I don't. He's not out their defending the receivers.

I thought he was a good coach.

I'm not surprised he jumped at the chance to be a Defensive Coordinator instead of just a Codefensive coordinator.

Most Sooner fans thought he would be here just a year or two max before he was offered a HC position somewhere or his own gig as a DC.