South Carolina shootings

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by red55, Jun 19, 2015.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I'm sure that his IQ is high enough, but he damn sure didn't utilize it effectively. Too easily manipulated by other people, primarily Darth Cheney. And not particularly perceptive or articulate, which is also important. High intelligence-low achiever. I see many of this type around campus. It probably also describes me. I never had the driven urge to be the absolute best, good enough was always satisfactory for me. Maximum slack, you know. Dubya was prodded into politics by his NeoCon friends and I suspect there are days he wishes he had remained a CEO.

2. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

"If you're trying to lean forward rather than live in the past, you want to eliminate the barriers that create disagreements, and so I did,"

I think that is a pretty good quote!

3. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/30/kkk-south-carolina-confederate_n_7695738.html
    those of you who care about your heritage should be more pissed than I would be over this. This is essentially who controls the conversation over the flag and makes your heritage and ancestors look like bigots.
    I thought about what Red said, his people were probably great folks and could have been fighting for the right to decide for themselves. But this makes people view them as terrible folks fighting for these idiots to have this rally.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

What did you expect? The Klan are terrible folks. That doesn't reflect on anybody other than themselves any more that Louis Farrakhan reflects on all black people.

5. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

oh, havent heard that.

i think there is no argument here.

6. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I'm pisses that these idiots still exist. I find it shocking that the grand poobah or whatever ridiculous title he glossed himself with puts his name out in public. Figured he would hide behind his linen like the coward that he is.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Aw, these gomers don't control shit. They only speak for themselves and they do this to get attention. Deny it to them and ignore them as I do. Your confusion between modern racists and soldiers of 150 years ago fighting for their country is difficult for me to understand. Kluxers are widely reviled by people of all races because they just won't let their hatred go. Do not emulate them, I implore you.

More confusion. The Klan came along well after the Civil War. How could they be fighting for the goddam KKK? I'll tell you who has been fighting for the KKK. Shane and HalloweenRun and all of the US veterans who fought for the freedoms we enjoy in America. These clowns have a Constitutional right to be assholes in this country! Farahkan and his assholes are equally dangerous racists that deeply offend me but I think that waging a campaign to have bow ties eradicated is kind of silly, are you following me here? It would be misplaced anger that does nothing to improve the situation. It just pisses off the other people who wear bow ties.

Look, these Kluxer douchebags have annoyed me for a long time. They usurped the historical flag for their own purposes, probably imagining that it would gain them a following, but I don't think it has. It's a fairly modern thing, too, something that Neo-Kluxers have adopted to get attention. The original Klan was secretive and had their own symbols which had nothing to do with the CSA. I refuse to be ashamed of my confederate grandfathers because of todays silly-ass clowns. Walking around in pointy hoods for heaven's sake! They should be laughed at, which they do not like. I will happily join you in doing so.

Sit back and I'll tell you another tale. I had four great grandfathers. Two fought in the war, the others were too young. One of them was a sharecropper who picked as much north Louisiana cotton on somebody else's land as your great grandfather probably did. And the fourth one was in the Klan during the Great Depression. My family has Klan artifacts among its heirlooms that are testament to it.

Here is the deal . . . my great grandfather was in the Klan. But my grandfather, although an affirmed racist, thought the Klan was ridiculous and never joined but he would have nothing to do with colored folks. My father was a George Wallace style segregationist, but had no problems dealing with black people and was never even rude to one that I can remember. But I thought he was going to blow an O-ring when Nancy Sinatra kissed Sammy Davis on TV once in the 60's. He was shocked and talked about it for weeks. Me, I grew up with black folks in school and played with them on ball teams and it just never seemed like a big deal. My racism consisted mostly of ethnic jokes and impolite words like "pickeninny" before I knew better. Kids today are simply not steeped in Jim Crow racism at all. Generation by generation white people have been letting go of the animosity. Give us a little credit, amigo.

Do I venerate my Klan heritage as I do my Confederate grandfathers? I do not. It was hateful and it is something that has taken generations to get past. Why do I keep my great grandfathers iron press that embosses the Great Seal of the Knights of the Ku Klux Klan into paper? So that we don't forget it. History should never be suppressed or erased.

I will gladly join you in denouncing the Klan for using the battle flag, the swastika, or anything else as a racist symbol. But consider that vilifying people long dead who possessed values from another time and fought and died for their flag on the battlefield might just be divisive and counterproductive today. They are not culpable for that pathetic nut job who massacred innocent people a few weeks ago.

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

i don't think there has ever been a bigger group of idiots than the Klan.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Unfortunately there has. How about the entire nation of Germany in the '30s and '40s?

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

They weren't a bunch of dumb bumblefucks, I thought about them and ISIS and Al Queda, Ze Germans Al Queda and ISIS have all done great things, TERRIBLE, HENOUS, but great. And I don't mean great as in good, I mean it as in the scope of what they accomplished in the name of their organizations...even though their ideals and what they stand or stood for was horrible.

What's the Klan ever accomplished in the name of their organization?