Southern's National Championship

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsugrad00, Apr 22, 2004.

1. lsugrad00

lsugrad00 Founding Member

I was talking with a Southern fan last night about college football last night and he kept bringing up their national championship. Well as the night went on and the more we talk the more I realized that Southern is the USC of D1-AA football.

Bare with me here.....

At the begining of last year all D1-AA teams knew that to win a national championship they needed to get to the D1-AA playoffs and win the championship game.

At the begining of last season all D1 teams knew that to win a MNC they needed to get to the BS championship game and win to get the crystal trophey.

Some time in the past Southern made a choice that they were not going to participate in the D1-AA. Yet at the end of the season they declare themselves "Black National Champions". I don't want to even get into the stupidity of the concept of having a "black national champion". What's next Miami wins the "Cuban National Championship".

USC... well we all know the story here.

Anyway as an LSU fan who believes that LSU is the true national champion. I'm having a hard time saying that Southern is a national champion when they have the same claim as USC.

Anyway that's my two cents. Which by the way can buy you a master's degree at Southern. :shock: :shock: :D

2. LSU'syourdaddy

LSU'syourdaddy Founding Member

You need to be careful...

When you rip on one of our state's historically black universities, you come dangerously close to coming off as just an ignorant bigot.

Southern University has played a vital role in providing access to higher education for students from Louisiana and from across the nation and the globe, particularly African-Americans. The black community, particularly in the rural American South, has historically had limited access to quality education at all levels, particularly higher education. While access has certainly been increased through legislation, court action, and the hard work of blacks and whites to increase diversity in higher education, Southern University still has a role to fill. While Southern is not, as any academic will attest, at the level of LSU academically, it is making strides.

As for the "Black National Championship," that is a title bestowed upon the football program which finishes at the top of the Sheridan Poll. I have attached the last poll from the past football season. You may disagree with the wisdom of having such a poll at all, but this poll is widely accepted as the ranking of football programs at historically black colleges around the country.

The highest classification of schools ranked in the poll is currently NCAA Division 1-AA. However, Florida A&M will soon make the leap to Division 1, which would appear to really call into question the fairness of these rankings. Never the less, so long as this poll is published, the #1 team at the end of the season, which Southern certainly is right now, can proudly call themselves "Black National Champions."

GET OVER IT.

Sheridan Broadcasting Network Black College Football Poll
    Team (First-place votes) Record Points
    1. Southern Jaguars (30) 12-1 300
    2. Grambling State Tigers 9-3 246
    3. Bethune-Cookman Wildcats 9-3 227
    4. North Carolina A&T Aggies 10-3 174
    5. Alabama State Hornets 8-5 123
    6. Fayetteville State Broncos 8-3 119
    7. Albany State Rams 9-2 79
    8. Hampton Pirates 7-4 55
    9. South Carolina State Bulldogs 8-4 43
    10. Alabama A&M Bulldogs 8-4 29
    Others receiving votes: Tennessee State 27, Winston-Salem State 21, Alcorn State 16, Fort Valley State 11, Kentucky State 7.

As of December 15, 2003, at 05:49 PM ET

3. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

I never really understood the whole Sheriadan (sp?) poll thing. If these teams are 1-AA then why don't they play in the post season. Is it by choice or what. I would like to see Southern play in the post season. I also think it would be great exposure for them nationally. Also, why don't they have a black national champion in basketball or baseball. I think Southern and some of the other historical black colleges could compete with the "powerhouses" in 1-AA.

Those are my 2 cents, and i agree i could buy a degree from Southern with it and probably get change. :shock: :shock:

4. ok awesome

ok awesome geaux

There's no white college national championship.
    There's no hispanic college national championship.
    There's no asian college national championship.

Why the hell is there a black college national championship? They say they want equality, then they go seperate themselves from everyone else.

5. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Southern, Grambling and a few others decline the opportunity to play in the 1-AA playoffs due to money. Their would be conflicts with the Bayou Classic and I believe the Heritage Bowl and maybe another and these schools make more money off of these games then they make on all of their other games combined, so I cannot blame them at all.

6. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

As a native of Baton Rouge, I love LSU first and Southern second. I always pull for them and hope for the best for the Jags.

I hate to see them and the black college system being degraded. Traditionally black colleges are an important social and cultural system for many families. As much as I, too, would love to see Southern compete in the playoffs, I know that the #1 ranking in the Sheridan Poll is the goal all black colleges strive for each year--as being #1 in the BCS governs our wishes.

Let's not bash our brother school. The players from both of the two teams are very close. Why can't their fan bases be, as well?

7. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

i agree considering half their team is made up of LSU recruits :grin: :grin:

8. lsugrad00

lsugrad00 Founding Member

Ok that's a pretty big leap... So when Ed Buggs gets on BR Radio and rips Southern is he a bigot?? Oh no that's right it's only when a white person has the same opinion that they're a bigot. I guess the white citizens of this state are not allowed to have an opinion about a state funded university that is selling degrees. But that's a discussion for another thread.

Secondly I know what the Sheridan poll is. I'm just saying that it's not a national title. Just like LSU fans are saying that USC is not the National Champion. If Southern and Grambling choose not to play in the D1-AA playoffs then more power to them but they have not won a national title until they do so.

9. TigerInTally

TigerInTally Founding Member

FAMU not making jump to Div 1

Earlier this year FAMU decided that they were not ready to make the jump to Div 1 football. I belive the reasons that they gave were that they felt that they weren't ready and seeing that they havent been able to find an AD for a couple of years, they probably weren't ready.

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

i wonder if they had a "white national championship" would that cause controvery.

just kidding, there would be a massacre of course.