Spartan poster ragging on Saban....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tigerfanintampa, May 13, 2004.

1. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

You figure it out, he's lying about a bunch of stuff too make CNS look a s bad as possible.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    $aban had already put the bite on the MSU administration for raises in previous years, and was seemingly flirting with the NFL after every season. After going through the George Perles fiascos (every time he had a good year, he was interviewing with the Jets or Colts or someone like that for an NFL head job), the fan base and the administration wasn't going put up with that crap from Nick $aban -- who wasn't even a Spartan.

He had one, count 'em, ONE excellent year, and what does he do? You guessed it, he tried to put the bite on MSU for ANOTHER raise and extension. Nothing was ever enough for Nick.

Frankly, $aban is also something of a zero when it comes to being a likable guy (and I met him at MSU Alumni Association functions, so I know), so all he can point to is success on the field. He's a total jerk as a human being, which is probably why none, count 'em, NONE of his assistants accepted job offers to go with him to L$U. And yes, some of them were offerred nice raises to join him down there. I do believe that he's lost a few assistants down in Tiger-land, too, as several of his assistants have left for totally lateral jobs elsewhere just to get away from him. Didn't his first defensive coordinator bolt on him quite early in $aban's tenure?

President Peter McPherson got tired of his "me-first" act, and refused to cave in on the latest demand from Nick.

Of course, the fact that $aban was denying any contact with L$U right up until he walked out the door didn't exactly do much to leave us with warm fuzzy feelings about him. There's something about being lied to that tends to destroy trust, isn't there?

$aban also felt the need to make a few self-serving comments on his way out the door, when he said words to effect that he didn't think that MSU could compete well enough with Michigan to ever dominate the state. Other than the money, of course, that was one reason he left for a school that totally dominates its state.

It's all about money for Nick, it's nothing personal. As long as you realize that Nick cares only for himself and advancing his career, then everything's fine. After all, he wants to win too, as that will only make that NFL head job easier to get. Just don't expect things like loyalty to matter to him, and remember that "show me the money" is the creed by which he lives.

If that's OK with the fan base, then he's a great fit for a program.

2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

still wondering which part isn't true..

3. alaman

alaman Founding Member

We know the NFL part is wrong. He's turned down the Bears, Giants and others to stay in college football. As long as he gets the support from the administration, BOS and fans that he has now, he will never leave LSU.

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

no the nfl part could have been not enough offered and no, he wont be here forever. lol

5. ramah

ramah Founding Member

She may be sour grapes to you ... but she's sweet ~W~H~I~N~E~ to me

6. Thorny

Thorny Founding Member

I think that the best part of Coach Saban is that he brought a no-nonsense, business-like approach to the good ole boy network that is LSU football. He doesn't suffer fools well, but I like that about him. His focus is on the game and improving his team, as evidenced by his "I don't have time to talk, Jordy, because we are playing like you know what, and I have to put my foot up someone's you know what" quote at halftime of the 2002 Kentucky game. (That was with a 7 pt lead at the time!) You also get very little coachspeak from him.

Can he come across as abrasive? Sure, especially to opponents. So have some of my best bosses. But when we saw him relaxed in the Sugar Bowl lead-in show, my father-in-law knew the game was in the bag.

GEAUX TIGERS

7. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

The part of the thread that was actually the most offensive to me was the insinuation by the administrator on the board that Cutcliffe is "too nice" to put the "hard sell" on recruits.

He suggested that Nick Saban is successful as a recruiter because he's a negative recruiter, badmouthing all other programs vying for a player. None of us really know how any of the SEC coaches recruit, so by implying such things, it makes the author sound like he's really reaching for thin air.

However, I've posted over there before and vampireb posts on different LSU boards frequently. They're actually not a bad group and tolerate minimal flaming.

8. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

The president was the only one, the fan base and many of the admistration were behind Saban 100%.

That is total BS, one of my friends was on the Alumni committee that raises money for the athletics department(football) and they loved Saban. they were all really pissed the way the president handled the situation also and the fact that they did not follow through on all of the plans that they had promised. He said that he went to a bunch of things with Saban, traveled all over the state with him and that he had everyone eating out of his hand and had them more excited about the program then they had ever been, just like he has done at LSU. they wouldn't have loved the guy if he was a total jerk or "unlikeable".

He fails to mention that Saban had lobbied very hard for raises and retirement insurance and other benefits that assistant coaches never get in college football as well as the fact that they all got to stay in Michigan without any moving and relo expenses, coach for a guy who they had been with for a few years, contunuity, etc.

The comments weren't self serving, they were for the betterment of the MSU program. He made a big point of praising the MSU admin, fans, players, students, etc. They loved him while he was there and some are still trying to make him look bad now, but the majority still like and respect him although they were sad to see him leave. I went back and read tons of stuff on Saban leaving MSU on the internet a few months ago and believe me the rumors were way different from the facts of the matter.

The guy took a program that was in dire straits academically and morally corupt due to things that had happened there and built it into a fine program all around just like he has done with LSU. He was putting all of the same programs in place at MSU that he has put and is still trying to put in place here. He left that program in much better shape than when he arrived and he will do the same thing for LSU. If he didn't care about anything else except for advancing his career than he wouldn't have so many developement programs for the players, fight so hard for his assistants, build so many long lasting buildings and programs for the athletics department, etc.

All in all Tirk, if you don't think the guy was full of Sh!t than your opinion of Saban is much different from mine.

9. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Just speculation on my part, but do you think some Ole Miss fans may be sympathetic because of the similar circumstances in the poster's story with that story they tell about Tuberville? Seems both parties perceive themselves as jilted. Anyway, its ancient history.

JMO, but I admire CNS's pursuit of his career goals, or anyone else for that matter. I don't think there's anything wrong with that - it's inspirational.