Specifically, What do you like or dislike about Trump?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by onceanlsufan, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Someone who believes in the constitution and principles on which it is based, free markets and the rule of law. For example I approve of Trump’s action last night but believe to go further and actually wage war it takes a declaration of war passed by Congress. We’ve gone way too far stretching the authorization for force that W got in 2001. He, Obama and now Trump have acted without full authorization....and Congress has let them. This is a weakening of our constitutional system. This is one example of too many where convenience has trumped correctness. Unfortunately this is something too many on both sides of the political divide accept to our detriment.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Doesn't it go back way further than W. Seems like Lyndon Johnson escalated the "police action" in Viet Nam into a full scale war without authorization.

3. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

He did have the Tonkin Gulf resolution which gave him the tools. However I think Nixon going into Cambodia was stomped on because it expanded the war beyond Vietnam.
    However we’ve been in Afghanistan, Africa, Iraq, Syria etc for up to almost 20 years now. Obama attacked Libya and killed hundreds with drone attacks using executive authority. Trump is putting people into Saudi Arabia without any authority.
    Now this isn’t a comment on whether or not any of theses actions should have or should not have been taken. It’s that they were done outside of constitutional norms. Both Republicans and Democrats in Congress have abdicated their power. Likewise both parties presidents’s have stolen power from Congress. This makes other similar actions as shown in Obama’s and Trump’s over reaching use of executive orders to get past congress.
    We are poorer and less free for it....and our remaining freedoms are more at risk.
    Here’s a good article discussing the issue. https://reason.com/2020/01/03/repub...-war-against-iran-are-making-a-grave-mistake/

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Why Trump will win again.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Most people would say this. Even a lot of liberals.

6. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

All of these are at the interpretation of the reader.

Bengal B likes this.
  7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

When I go deer hunting I never take more than one magazine for my AR15. I'm a real sportsman.

LSUpride123 likes this.
  8. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Not if you follow what the constitution says by the separation of powers limiting each branch and reserving more power to the states. Also the extensive writings of Madison, Morris Hamilton and others in the Federalist Papers laid out a pretty clear path. One we have strayed too far off recently.

9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I can agree here however you are 100% wrong to lay this at the feet of Trump. I could say it was started by the left long ago and we could argue for pages but it is ultimately OUR fault, we the people for not understanding the power that we hold and not doing anything about it.

el005639 likes this.
  10. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Then why is the SC split majority of the time?