Specifically, What do you like or dislike about Trump?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by onceanlsufan, Oct 17, 2019.

1. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

“The law still protects social media companies like @Twitter because they are considered forums not publishers,” Sen. Marco Rubio tweeted on Tuesday. “But if they have now decided to exercise an editorial role like a publisher then they should no longer be shielded from liability & treated as publishers under the law.”

APPTiger and shane0911 like this.
  2. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

What is wrong with Rubio and Trumps statement?

3. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

to what extent do you think publishers (as opposed to a forum) cannot say what they want? they dont have freedom of speech? these are private companies. they could editorialize that every conservative post they allow on their service is stupid if they want. they dont have to be unbiased.

to the extent they are a forum, they are also not to be held responsible for stuff you and i post there.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    Winston1 likes this.
  4. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Besides the fact that the statements run totally counter to the first amendment??????

5. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

So if all they’re talking about is suing them there’s still a very high hill to climb. Partisanship is not grounds for a suit. Slander must be proven false and malicious if the plaintiff is a public person. Again Justice Kavanaugh has pretty much slammed the door.
    Beyond that Trump is being a whiny pussy. He’s given worse and can’t take his own medicine. He’s the weakest excuse for a man I’ve seen in public office.

6. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

No that is preventing the government from closing down internet sites. It protects everyone from government overreach. I thought you were worried about the deep state etc. Well lose 230 and your worries will come true. Just think if President Biden decided Rush was a threat and shut him down.

7. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

You have it backwards.

8. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

It’s late. I’ll educate you tomorrow. Twitter is hiding behind the government to protect itself from liability.

If I start a business tomorrow, I don’t have have protection. Well, unless I start a “platform”. However, the issue is that Twitter has, by its actions, acted in the role of a publisher and as such, should be subject to governance as a publisher.

Don’t let the media twist this up for you bud.

Case and point, they appointed CNN and Washington Post as “fact checkers” to Trumps tweets.

Remeber the Maga kid that sued the networks over the “Indian”?

Further, he isn’t repealing. He is modifying.

Bengal B and shane0911 like this.
  9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

But when they edit or censor that content they have taken on a different role

Bengal B and LSUpride123 like this.
  10. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Except what he said was 100% factual. Mail in ballots would be a shit show and you know it.

APPTiger and Bengal B like this.