Speeding

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by NoLimitMD, Jun 13, 2005.

1. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3222360

This just seems like BS. There are so many factors that contribute to safe speeds (condition of the road, traffic, type of car, etc.) that to paint it with such a broad brush is absurd.

I recall reading somewhere that the vast majority of the interstate system was originally designed for 85 mph traffic. I have no idea where this was, but I'm guessing some of you (RED!) can shed some light.

This is one topic that just drives me nuts. Maybe it's because I think not all rules apply to me.

2. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

There are lots of factors that contribute to accidents, but are you suggesting that high speeds are not among them? Still, I think cell phones are probably a really big problem these days. I see lots of drivers on city streets nearly hit people, then see that they're holding a phone.

The other danger is cars going lower than the speed limit on Interstates. Those who tap their breaks a lot is a big problem.

In Texas, 18 wheelers are subjected to a lower speed limit on the Interstate, which seems to work pretty well. Cars can go faster, but the huge trucks can't, so they mainly stay in the right hand lane, instead of being in the fast lane all of the time.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Nope, 70 mile per hour originally.

The Interstate Highway System

"The standards for the Interstate Highways were highly regulated - lanes were required to be twelve feet wide, shoulders were ten feet wide, a minimum of fourteen feet of clearance under each bridge was required, grades had to be less than 3%, and the highway had to be designed for travel at 70 miles per hour."

Interstate Trivia

"Examples of design standards for the Interstate System include full control of access, design speeds of 50 to 70 miles per hour (depending on type of terrain), a minimum of two travel lanes in each direction, 12-foot lane widths, 10-foot right paved shoulder, and 4-foot left paved shoulder. Initially, the design had to be adequate to meet the traffic volumes expected in 1975. Later, the requirement was changed to a more general 20-year design period to allow for evolution of the System."

4. NoLimitMD

But 70 mph in the cars of the 1950's? With advances in technology for braking distance, handling, etc., I genuinely don't understand why people are so skittish about speeds over 70.

And thanks for the info Red, I knew it was coming! ;)

StaceyO, I think speed can be a factor, but not as big of a factor as not being able to drive competently. The same goes for cell phones. You can't legislate competence and attentiveness. Ban cell phones, and people will find something else to distract themselves with. And with speed limits so low, why not? Personally, the most distracting thing in my car is the iPod. SO, I pretty much only mess with it when in the parking lot of Houston traffic or just hit play and let it go!

5. red55

I'm kind of disappointed that they now have a speed limit of 80 on the Montanabahn. When I was on vacation out there in the late 90's, the speed limit was "reasonable and prudent". I discovered my new Explorer V-8 could make 115 mph on a really good, new stretch of road. I found I actually never went much over 80 under normal circumstances.

But there were a few those European sports cars passing me at 130-plus.

IMO much of the interstate system is old and bumpy with way too many patches. At speeds over 80 even a good driver can lose control on a bad surface. The German autobahns are reconstructed much more frequently.

6. NoLimitMD

That is so true. The funny thing with autobahn are the stretches where there are speed limits (e.g. stretch between Munich and Austria towards Innsbruck.) Some loaded 911's BLEW past us, and some were smoking their tires (literally) to get under the speed limit, and then roar out of there when the limit was removed. It was pretty funny picturing these insane Germans burning 3 gallons of gas flying back up to 130+!

7. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Highway speed limits are designated according to the 'sight distance' provided by the individual curves along them. Also taken into account when evaluating this sight distance are obstuction setbacks, such as tree lines, buildings, embankments, and signs. Using typical perception/reaction times, braking decelleration rates, and vehicle dimensions, the minimum radii of these curves are then determined. The curve is then designed, and the sight distance is evaluated. When a highway is straight, the sight distance is actually infinite, and the speed limit can be set as high as so desired. I've never been on the Autobahn, but every segment that I've seen of it was almost perfectly straight.

Anyhow, once a curve is designed, engineers then determine what is known as the 'design' speed for it. This is the highest speed that can be traveled along the curve while providing the driver with enough braking distance between themselves and any possible obstructions. It also accounts for the centripital force that could potentially send the car off the side of the road, on a path tangential to the point of exit (embankments are also used for this). The 'posted' speed limit is often set about 10-15MPH lower than the design speed.

Not sure if this helps, but it may explain why police are somewhat lenient to moderate speeders.

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

i have been arrested and jailed twice for failure to go to court for my billions of speeding tickets. both times i was at work and the cops came to my work and took me away in cuffs. i get tickets prety much everywhere i go. when i moved away from baton rouge, i knew i would be riding the subway, so i sold my car, and i borrowed my girlfriend's and got a final ticket on the way to the airport to leave. i really just could not stop speeding.

but now i never drive and dont own a car, so i dont get arrested anymore.

9. red55

Perhaps our insurance rates in Louisiana will drop now.