Sporting News magazine

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by GxLSU1, Jun 3, 2004.

1. GxLSU1

GxLSU1 Founding Member

I picked up a copy of Sporting News magazine in the grocery store today, which by the way has Justin Vincent on the cover. They have LSU's projected finish as 9-2...losing to Auburn and Georgia. I'm sorry, but I do NOT see us losing to Auburn. It just doesnt make sense!! I know we have a QB problem but it doesn't matter who we put out there they are still better than Campbell!! That guy sucks!! :cuss: :angryfire They say we will also lose to Georgia (of course) but I don't see that either...but then again I dont know....and we'll beat Florida on the road. Win the West and make it to the SECCG and lose to UGA (again!??) :confused: They have UGA as #1 for their pre-season top 25 and LSU #4. So, do you think this UGA love is like Auburn's was last year? Just a fluke?

2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

UGA is getting most of their love based on them having so many injuries last season and still having a good year. But I just do not see them as number one in the country. The good news is their entire O-line is back. The bad news is their entire O-line is back. The good news is that Green is back, the bad news is Green threw one more TD than he did int. last season, and his TD's were half as many as Matt had for us. Ther good news is Pollack is back, the bad news is that like Green they are basing all of his hype on the season before last, just like the media did with Tommie Harris last season, basing how good he was on his frosh season and dismissing his last to average type years.

The truthfully good news for UGA is that they cannot possibly have as many injuries as they had last season, but then again they lost several players in the spring, had 2 players quit football for good due injuries and a couple of their RB's had concussion problems. HHMMM!!!

They'll be a good team, not a great one.

3. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

No, we don't deserve the #1 ranking and many UGA fans feel the same way. I am not saying we WON'T win the SEC...but go undefeated with our OL? Highly doubtful. We still have a lot of holes to fill before we think about going through an SEC schedule without doubt. Hell, why dont we just concentrate on not choking against UF before we think about a National Title...

But, I would not put us with Auburn from last year. Remember, the guys on this UGA team have won a SEC Title before and our coach has been to Atlanta the last two years. Auburn has yet to do both with anyone on their team.

4. Soap

Soap Founding Member

I highly doubt anybody goes undefeated in the SEC this year.

5. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

You are forgetting that they wiped the floor with us in Jordan-Hare two years ago with Campbell and ..gasp... Marcus Randall at QB for us.

6. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

JMO, but I woudn't sweat these pre-season picks, especially from a publication that has such a poor track record of picks (like AU #1 last season?)

Way too early to be picking these games, though I do feel Auburn believes it has a score to settle. Heck , the young pups aren't even on campus yet. Not sure about LSU, but Auburn will likely have two players step into the lineup as pure freshmen. I doubt LSU has room for that to happen, even given the blue chips it secured this season.......

7. LSUDeek

I believe both E. Doucet and X. Carter will see the field this year. Look for Mario Stevenson and Matt Stoltz to contribute on defense and possibly Herman Johnson to play in mop-up duty.

The only starting position available is I believe SS/FS depending on which of those two positions Leron Landry plays. I have heard talk of T.Dan moving to the other safety positions while Mario Stevenson sets up at corner opposite C.Webster.

8. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

I could see X being a potential starter, but do you feel the others can beat out the incumbents?

9. LSUDeek

I have not seen anything from Marcus Randall during the 2003-2004 season that indicates to me he will be any different of a quarterback than in 2002-2003. Defense cannot put enough points on the board to win....we still needed 17 to beat Ole Miss even though we held their offense to 7 points.

10. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Stevenson isn't a freshman, he will be a True junior as he is a juco transfer. You have to be totally guessing on Stoltz as he hasn't hit the field yet. Travis Daniels didn't play any plays at all at safety during the spring and is one of the best corners in the country, he is not moving back to safety. Jessie Daniels is number one on the depth chart there and Daniel Francis is his backup. A true freshman might get a look if they are as talented as Landry was last season.

If they blow Big Herm's redshirt on mop up duty I would be shocked, especially with all of the talent on this roster.

The only incoming freshmen that Saban has indicated MAY get playing time due to their obvious speed and talent are Early and XC. Others could impress in the fall but haven't had the opportunity to show their wares yet.