sportingnews gives the Coaching edge to BAMA

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DeafValleyBatnR, Nov 12, 2002.

1. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Dont be snide, Skrayper. You asked a question that I answered in a very straight forward manner. BTW, I am sure about the pass defense. LSU gave up an average of 292 ypg last year, while UA allowed 252. Those numbers are from lsusports.net and rolltide.com. We have bettered those numbers by 160ypg with less experience and without the SEC's interception leader from last year. To me, thats pretty dang good caoching.

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Guess who I give the edge to.

3. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

Uhhh......let me guess........Saban?

Fact is we will all find out who the best coach is Saturday Night

GEAUX TIGERS
    GEAUX SABAN

4. ChuckE

ChuckE Founding Member

I agree that at the worse case coaching is a tie. I don't agree that this game will decide which is the better coach.

5. csmtiger

csmtiger Freshman

Numbers - v - Ranking

LSU averages more yds per game rushing and more points per game scoring, yet is ranked well below Bama in both catagories. Does anyone beside me find that peculiar?

6. bayoutider

bayoutider Founding Member

Re: Numbers - v - Ranking

Scoring

LSU 29.9
    Bama 30.8

Total yds per game
    LSU 359.8
    Bama 407.5

Yards Rushing
    LSU 210.8
    Bama 208.1

Yards passing
    LSU 149
    Bama 199.4

Yes LSU has gained an average of 2.7 yards more per game than Bama has, but my stats show Bama to score .9 pts per game more than LSU.

7. burlesontiger

burlesontiger Founding Member

you're right, bayoutider, those are the same as the stats I saw on NCAA.com

8. EELSU1

EELSU1 Founding Member

Saban vs Franchione is an even proposition at worst, and a very favorable comparison for Franchione period. Saban's an elite coach, and paid as such. Franchione's not at that elite level yet.

Franchione's doing a very good job, but he's also coaching a bunch of juniors and seniors that he didn't even recruit. He didn't take over a bare cupboard at Alabama, despite what some will have you believe. Alabama was recruiting very well when DuBose was there, as the SEC Championship they won lead to the signing of many of the players Franchione is coaching now. Top HS players.

Saban, meanwhile, was left with much less when DiNardo got fired, as half the players DiNardo recruited never made it to the field. DiNardo left Saban with some superstars, but he also left very little depth, as his recruting classes in 1998 and 1999 weren't as good as Alabama's, or many other schools in the SEC for that matter (once it was realized many of his recruits had grade problems or discipline problems).

9. bayoutider

bayoutider Founding Member

To say that Franchione is not elite is a joke. Being the coach at Alabama is an elite status. True he did inherit some highly ranked players, DuBose was a poor coach and they were poorly conditioned as you could see by the way they kept falling apart in the fourth quarter last year. Coach Fran finally said a couple of weeks ago that he felt this was beginnig to feel like his team. They have continued to improve with each game. Take a look at his win loss record and compair it to Saban. I'm not saying one is more elite than the other, but their percentage of wins are almost the same with Franchione having coached over twice as many games. When Alabama was looking for a new HC the fact that Alabama had him high on their list makes him a hot commodity and an elite coach. He is a master at rebuilding programs and will succeed at Alabama. Franchione is paid $1.2M a year, if that isn't elite what is. His new contract will guarantee him to be one of the top 2 paid coaches in the SEC. That is elite. Not elite ROFLMAO. :rolleyes:

10. EELSU1

EELSU1 Founding Member

<<< To say that Franchione is not elite is a joke. Being the coach at Alabama is an elite status. >>>

<<< Not elite ROFLMAO. >>>

Franchione is not considered an elite coach. He's a very good coach, but not on Saban's level. Saban's had success at 2 big programs, Franchione has not. Nearly every coach in the SEC makes what Franchione's making, including Tuberville. I'll assume you think Tuberville is an elite coach too. Right?

If Being the coach at Alabama is elite status, why couldn't Alabama get their first choices to come coach the Tide? The fact is THEY COULDN'T. You have a short memory. They couldn't even get Sherrill to go to Bama. Last year, I recall MANY Bama fans wondering if the school had made a mistake hiring Franchione. What a difference a year makes (having experienced players - what a novelty).

When Dubose's juniors and seniors graduate, and when Alabama starts feeling the loss of scholarships due to the probation they're on (infractions that would have gotten many schools the death penalty, and infractions that must make SMU boosters wonder how they ever got the death penalty two decades ago, because Alabama paid out more money to football players than SMU ever dreamed about), we'll see just how an elite a coach you think Franchione is (assuming he hasn't taken another job by then).