sportingnews gives the Coaching edge to BAMA

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DeafValleyBatnR, Nov 12, 2002.

1. bayoutider

bayoutider Founding Member

Re: BT - I agreed with all your points on the HC

My implication to Tommy Bowden was that he was the first name mentioned by the press, fans and internet. I also stated that he was not offered the job but took a raise at Clemson (much to my relief). Jimmy Johnsons name was also thrown about as was Bowers at Miss St. and a few others such as Walt Harris. I'm just glad we got the elite coach we do have. ;)

2. Skrayper

Skrayper Founding Member

You do realize that, with sanctions over his head, no bowl for the next year, new job rumors, etc... Fran is still in the top 5 in recruiting. We're getting incredible players. He was able to get better than the norm players at TCU, how do you think with the recruiting base of Alabama, he will do?

Seriously, Fran is an incredible coach. I won't debate if he's a better coach than Saban, because, let's be honest, which has been at their top teir school (LSU and Bama) truly long enough for a debate as to whom is better?

I do know this... it could become the top 2 schools in the west will be LSU and Bama for years to come, resulting in one of those great coaching match-ups our kids will talk about.

3. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Bayou...

That was the media's supposition as to who was on the Tide's list.

Butch Davis was offered and interested but went to the NFL. The next coach contacted was Fran.

4. bayoutider

bayoutider Founding Member

I did not say that Sherrill, Bowden or Beamer were offered. I said that Davis, and I stand that this is true, was going to accept our offer but with a NFL offer at hand was told that it would not be kosher for him to accept the Bama job and then go to the NFL a month later. I can't recall who had this conversation with Davis. That is when Dennis Franchione was contacted. Both Bowden and Beamer signed contract extensions with pay raises when it was rumoured that Alabama was searching for a HC. Sure am glad that Clemson got him to sign.