Sports Illustrated Investigative Report Involving Oklahoma State

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by psulions2007, Sep 9, 2013.

1. psulions2007

psulions2007 Founding Member

So I have noticed there has been pretty much no talk about this among the LSU fanbase (both internet and with my family)...and I just feel like I need to put you guys on notice so you aren't completely blindsided in case something happens.

Tomorrow at 9 AM ET, Sports Illustrated's Investigative Report "The Dirty Game" on Oklahoma State football will be launched. The timeline that people believe is being discussed for major violations occurring is between 2001-2011*... the beginning of which coincides with the years Les Miles was at Oklahoma State.

Now as we know, the NCAA has a four-year statute of limitations on charges that could be filed... however, we also know that the NCAA has a history of being inconsistent and ignoring its own bylaws if there is enough public pressure. Depending on public outcry, this could be another one of those situations.

We also know that the central figure in this controversy is current WVU special teams coach Joe DeForest...but as we know with past incidents, that certainly doesn't leave head coaches out of trouble if they knew what was going on.

Basically... I would advise all LSU fans to keep a hard eye on this report tomorrow and the continuing discussion afterwards. It's quite possible...likely, even that nothing will happen to Les. It's also possible that he could receive a Sean Payton-like punishment where he is suspended from coaching for a year or so. It's also, however, not completely out of question that he receives an even harsher punishment. Whatever happens, I certainly hope LSU football does not receive collateral damage from this.

*Correction from original posting which stated 2007/8. Also, it has been noted that the NCAA can possibly use its "willful violators" clause to enact punishment.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Miles was gone in 05 that's 8 years ago. Plus this is LSU not Oklahoma State. Anything they did to Miles would directly effect a school that had nothing to do with that shit. You can't punish LSU for shit that happened at Okie State. I don't think anything is going to happen to Les.

gyver likes this.
  3. psulions2007

*Correction to dates made to original posting

4. psulions2007

See above... it has been noted to me in continuing conversation that the NCAA can use its "willful violators" clause to enact punishment. If Les is found guilty under that, he can possibly be punished.

Now that is only discussing Les being punished...which in and of itself could harm the LSU football program. This is not saying the NCAA will come after the LSU football program itself, however, unless someone decides to launch an investigation into the program to ensure improprieties did not continue under Les at LSU.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Anything the NCAA does to Miles is a direct attack on LSU. The NCAA couldn't prove Jenny Doucheball or that idiot Scam Newton took cash, what makes you think they can prove Les Miles did anything. Sports illustrated does alot of hatchet work that seems to never get proven true without a shadow of a doubt.

I bet the writer is an OU grad.

boblinfoto, GregLSU and gyver like this.
  6. psulions2007

The difference between Les being punished and LSU being punished is that LSU won't receive sanctions, probation, etc. Yes if Les is punished it will affect LSU...however only in the sense that they would either have to find an interim/new head coach or write a show-cause.

With respect to comparing this to Scam...this is a bit of a different situation. First, it sounds like they already have proof that the assistant coach ran the scheme. The question is how much Les knew about it...and as I said, as we know from past situations, the buck usually stops with the head coach.

That said, whether or not they are going to need hard evidence showing where Les knew about it is up in the air. The NCAA has no consistency on this...and trying to predict what they do is like trying to pick lottery numbers in Iran. What we do know from similar past situations on multiple levels, however, is that usually the head coach gets punished as well.

7. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

At the rate that NCAA enforcement personnel are fleeing the sinking ship, they won't have anybody left to launch an investigation of LSU. These people botched a slam dunk case against Miami that they are STILL investigating. Cam Newton and Johnny Autograph speak for themselves. Their credibility is zero now. And they would somehow go balls to the wall after a program that has been a model of self-enforcement since Les took over to rattle what's left of their saber? And they would go after Les with zero evidence after effectively admitting they had nothing on Manziel after that blew up in their face? The pushback from the LSU administration from any draconian punishment for Les would likely destroy what little remains of Emmert's tenure there.

8. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

9. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

When problems hit during the recruitment of Hicks, didn't take long for Les to drop the player and the coach........

GregLSU likes this.
  10. Herb

Herb Founding Member

Actually this is the 3rd or 4th discussion thread on this topic already...that's just on this site. Did you bother checking the college sports forum? That is where we discuss things that DON'T INVOLVE LSU.

Key words = Oklahoma State

If "if" was a "skiff" we could all go fishing!

We don't know chit! Worse yet...SI is grasping at straws and when the light of scrutiny is focused on this, I'm willing to bet the farm that almost 100% of SI's "revelations" don't have any concrete proof behind them.

My guess is that you HOPE Les Miles does get punished, otherwise I doubt that you would be trying to raise this non-issue as something akin to DEFCON 5. When has the NCAA ever handed down a "Sean Payton-like punishment" against a coach?

Noted by whom?