Spring FB Game vs Final Four

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Laminator, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Laminator

Laminator Founding Member

So I'm reading this Q&A article with Tim Brando (who, for the record, sucks big-time in my estimation)..

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060327/SPORTS0202/60327014/1001

..and he's bashing LSU and its fans as usual, when I read this:

That made me stop and think. Dude's got a point. I'm sure it wasn't done intentionally, but the very fact that probably no one even considered the conflict of interest on that date says something about LSU's ignorance of Bball as a vital sport.

Just curious to see what others might think about this. Should LSU admin be chastized for scheduling the spring game on the same date as the Final Four? Is there an implied statement that they didn't think the team had a chance? And more importantly, should they make sure not to repeat this overbooking in the future?

2. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

Well I don't think many people really expected us to make it to the Final Four anyway. Not to mention the Final Four game isn't until 8pm anyway while the spring game is usually early afternoon. That leaves plenty of time to be able to go to the spring game and watch the Final four later that evening. The final four game is more important anyway and I really don't see anybody able to go to the FF game not going to it because of the spring game.

3. MFn G I M P

How can the man bash LSU and it's fans when his daughter goes to LSU? I am a big fan of Brando and everytime I see him on tv he does nothing but talk good about LSU and it's fans.

4. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

What's the big deal. The spring game will be over long before the Final Four games get started. What a stupid article. Once again people finding something to complain about.

5. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

There probably wasn't much of a choice. The spring game is always scheduled right after the completion of spring training. There was no way they were going to be able to have the spring game two or three weeks after training just to accomodate basketball. I have always liked Brando, and I certainly do not equate thoughtful criticism with "bashing" LSU, but Brando should have known this.

6. Laminator

I don't disagree that the timing is such that fans can see both, but I still think that there is a visible "red headed stepchilding" of basketball that I disagree with, especially if we as fans really want LSU BBall to be prominent to the community (post FB season, of course). People have complained that it's Brady's fault because he's not charismatic or whatever, but I think that a lot of the blame can be put squarely on the administration via the undercurrent of their actions. And this scheduling "conflict" is an example. Maybe not a conflict in terms of time, but definitely a conflict in terms of attention and energy spent.

It would be like your mom and dad planning on taking your brother to six flags on your birthday, but promising that there would be plenty of time to celebrate later that evening. Maybe so, but there is still an essential disregard for the fact that that day should be focused on you.

7. MFn G I M P

The rest of the article is pretty pro-LSU. He likes LSU to win it all, Big Baby is the darling of the tournament . . .etc. The only semi negative thing is the scheduling of the spring game and even that isn't a negative.

8. Laminator

Well we obviously haven't seen things the same way. I find that he feels the need to distance himself from LSU as much as possible when talking about them on national media so as to not come out looking like he's playing favorites. But in so doing, I think he often is unfairly harsh to LSU. I come on, you know that every time he's givin LSU love, he's gotta be at least casually concerned that people are going to just pin that on his background, and therefore accuse him of not being objective.

9. Laminator

Well he can be pro-LSU in this particular scenario because the rest of the world is too. When LSU is a national darling Brando can join in without being concerned about his bias image.

And the scheduling comment is negative insofar as it is a questioning of LSU's handling of the basketball team as a sibling sport to FB. He certainly isn't saying it as a positive and he's providing colored opinion so it's not neutral.

10. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

What time is the spring game? There may not be a conflict.