Spring FB Game vs Final Four

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Laminator, Mar 28, 2006.

1. jjbodean1970

jjbodean1970 Founding Member

1:00 BR time

2. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

I totally disagree. Brando has always been a huge LSU fan. Just because someone criticizes a team or school does not mean he does not support them. I have criticized virtually every aspect of LSU sports at one time or another, but I can tell you now I stand second to no one in my support of LSU athletics.

3. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

Brando used to be a sportscaster on one of the local stations here (I forget which one...seems like it was WAFB) and he has always shown to be a fan of LSU. I don't think he put much thought into the Spring game being early in the afternoon. If we had been the first game of the FF I'm betting Les would have had them move the spring game earlier so that everyone could get home for the basketball game.

4. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Are you joking? Is this thread just meant to be funny?

Please tell me you are not really all riled up over this. If so, then I feel bad for you.

Maybe the SEC should cancel it's entire SEC baseball schedule for this weekend. Heck, the softball schedule too. Gymnastics, track and field, whatever sports are in action this weekend. After all, the SEC should know better too right?

5. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

This is ridiculous. Our basketball team hasn't been to the Final Four in 20 years, so I'm sure it WASN'T on everyone's mind when the Spring Game was scheduled.

And LSU is traditionally a football school. There's nothing wrong with that. I'm as thrilled as the next person that our basketball team is in the Final Four, and I want us to win it all, but I don't like to see our status as a football-loving folk to come under fire. It is what it is.

As for scheduling conflicts, my dad is a high school principal. Their basketball banquet was last Thursday night during the Duke game, and their prom is on Saturday night. It stinks, and nobody is happy about it, but scheduling is done far in advance.

6. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Well, Tim Brando is just a tool if he actually believes this crap.

Common sense tells you that the date of the spring game must take place on a Saturday in April (well, for LSU it usually does, at least). What factors came into play regarding this year's date?

Well, for one, there's completing TS construction and repairing the field, both scheduled for this offseason thanks to Katrina (one way or the other). Scheduling the spring game as early in April as possible so as to clear the way for work to wind up ASAP this late spring/summer makes sense to me, at least.

Also, what about school? Spring Break begins April 10. Sure, there's no law that says you can't schedule the game the weekend before or after spring break week...but, c'mon, these are college kids. Picking a date that works for various reasons---including letting the guys end spring ball in time to enjoy a trip with their friends, if desired---is a good thing.

What, the Astros didn't believe they'd be in the World Series in 2005, a year removed from missing the WS by a single game in 2004? That's what Tim Brando would have you believe as Minute Maid Pk had a concert scheduled the week of the WS that had to be rescheduled.

Brando's losing brain cells as well as his hair, IMO.

7. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

This past Saturday, the Lady Tiger's basketball team played at 11 am, the baseball team played at 1 pm, and the men's basketball team played at 3:40.

The baseball game starting time was moved to 1 pm instead of the normal 2 pm that day to try to help people that were going to the baseball game see the men's basketball game. But, if you were a women's team fan that had baseball tickets, it just made the timeline worse.

Long story short, there are almost always gonna be conflicts. You just have to try to deal with it.

8. GetBackToWork

GetBackToWork Founding Member

Brando should know enough about college athletics before making a comment like this. Had he cared to do his work as a reporter, the starting times alone would have negated the main thrust of his argument. Brando is finding a conspiracy where there are merely unrelated events.

9. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

two points:

while the spring game and the final four game arent on at the same time, you certainly couldnt attend the spring game and the drive up (or even fly up) to Indy.

comparing scheduling conflicts of a spring game to that of a real game (you know, with an opponent) isnt quite valid. i know the spring game isnt some intramural flag football game, but you dont have to worry about the other team. itd be interesting to see when other schools (tx, ohio st, iowa, uf) have their spring games.

10. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

just checked out the dates for other football schools spring games.

UF, Ohio St and Iowa--mid to late Apr

Tx--Apr 1.

i thought i was gonna find the midwest teams with late ones because of weather, but then UF is late.