Spring Forward

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by cajdav1, Mar 15, 2005.

1. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I like what I'm hearing in this report from sprig practice. The players seem to like Miles more than Saban right now, hopefully that transcends to the games in the fall, we'll have to wait and see.

I've always wondered if the "thudding" as they called the hitting during Nick's regime was part of the reason we didn't finish a lot of tackles early in the season, especially vs UGA last year. Of course the 2003 team didn't have that problem. Anyway, I guess they still have to do it under Miles in many of the practice situations but being able to go full speed and make some tackles seems to be a good idea to me.

Link

2. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I read that article as well, it does appear that the players like Miles style better then Sabans, my only concern.. Sabans style produces 2 SEC titles 3 New Years Day games and a National Championship...

But it appears we do have a good coach, lets see what happens in the fall.

But change is many times a good thing. So I am looking forward to see what Miles brings to Tiger Stadium.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Dandy Don reported that Planchard had moved from center to tight end. Are there any other position changes going on? In fact, does anybody have a mock depth chart for spring practice yet?

4. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

5. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Just curious, what were players saying for Saban's first year?

This looks like all good news, but only time & results will tell.

6. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

They basically said that CLM is more patient and doesn't yell to get his points across. Also it was said that CLM is easier to approach and talk to. I think this can POTENTIALLY be good, but if any of you played high school sports, you know that a "nice" coach is going to become the favorite pretty darned quick. I see nothing wrong with the way CLM is handling things as long as he can maintain control and the respect of the team. It will all be moot once we bring this :crystal: back home!!!

7. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

yeah you have to wonder if saban's intensity/yelling/unapproachability were conducive to his success. that's not to say thats the only way to succeed. different dispositions have worked for different coachs.

8. j0nathanr0y

j0nathanr0y Founding Member

He asked about Nick Saban, not Miles

9. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

i don't think it much matters about what guys were saying about saban. first of all, that was a completely different group of guys...a group that he did not recruit, and a group that had not won a championship of any sort. additionally, their previous coach had been gerry retardo...so you're talking about completely different frames of reference.

10. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

It may be more a matter of personal preference than anything, Saban's use of "thudding" in practice.

IMO, that's more of something you'd see in the NFL where the longer season and smaller roster sizes make it impractical to have full contact hitting sessions on a regular basis. This is one reason why poor tackling technique has reached near-epidemic proportions in the pros.

Anyways, I don't buy that getting after it frequently makes players "tougher" or more physical in games. I don't recall Nick Saban's teams being manhandled like rag dolls in many games the past few years, so all that non-tackling didn't result in softer, less aggressive players.