Spring Game Excitement at LSU

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by pharpe, Mar 25, 2008.

1. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

I was wondering what everyone’s opinion is on why the LSU spring game has not had the excitement and fan support that other schools have. This is the first year that I can remember that LSU is even half-way promoting it. I don’t even think we got 5k last year. Compare that to Alabama that had 80k+ in attendance last year or the fact the Florida, Missouri and Texas all have their games televised nationally. http://lsufootball.net/tvschedule.htm

Basically, do you think it’s just lack of fan support in general? I find this very hard to believe. With no basketball, combined with great weather to tailgate and crawfish it seams like a recipe for a great turn out to me.

Is it because football team wants to keep this low key and not make a big production that distracts from the true purpose of teaching the players?

Or, is it lack of adequate promotion by the administration?

2. TigerKid05

TigerKid05 Say Whaa!?!?

Baseball.

3. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

Even more reason to go.

The baseball team plays Alabama at noon. It will be over about 3. Just walk across the street, tailgate for a couple hours, and go to the Spring Game.

1 person likes this.
  4. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Because it is a glorified practice...not very entertaining to the average person.

5. DwayneBowned

DwayneBowned Founding Member

6. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

They moved it to 5pm which will help with the attendence.

Also, Miles uses a format that doesn't function like a regular game and as said above it really doesn't appeal to the average fan.

Lack of promotion and extra events for the ladies and youngsters are also factors.

Also when you think about the number of other things to do in Baton Rouge and New Orleans with your time compared to T-Town. This is one of the main reasons Nebraska has a huge turnout as well. We will never sell out the stadium for that reason alone IMO.

LSU has done a few things this year to step in the right direction but this will have to continue on a yearly basis to have any effect at all. Word of mouth promotion takes time and consistency to develop. If they keep flip flopping, expectations and loyalty to the Spring Game will stay at par.

7. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Because spring game attendance is irrellevant.

1 person likes this.
  8. LSUfan71

LSUfan71 Founding Member

It seems to me to be a matter of promotion. I wonder how Florida and alabumble do it.

9. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Simple promotion.

At LSU most of my friends didnt even know if when spring practice was or even the game.

Quite a few schools like the ones you mentioned above center other things around the game. The game itself wont draw a ton of people but lots of schools do things differently than LSU does it. Some SEC schools have fraternity and sorority houses right next to the stadium and they have huge parties that weekend and rush parties, which bring people from out of town in. Combine that with golf tournaments and alumni events that week and you are bringing in thousands of people....which gets the word out even more.

LSU doesnt really have the side events that go along with it, which makes it hard to put a ton of people in the stands.

10. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

Irrelevant to who? It might me irrelevant to you but I love having an additional day of tailgating and football myself. It would just be more fun if there was a better crowd.

If you mean it's irrelevant to the polls, well that's pretty obvious and not really the point.