Spring game thoughts

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bandit88, Apr 5, 2008.

1. luvdimtigers

luvdimtigers Founding Member

Looking off a defensive back ain't as easy as it sounds. I was pleasently surprised at both QB's play.

Hopefully, if for any reason they have to get extended playing time in the fall, they'll have a stout defense and top flight running game, so it'll be a manage the game and not a have to go out and win it type thing.

2. luvdimtigers

luvdimtigers Founding Member

I noticed the same two things, LB depth was a concern of mine going in and might be our biggest worry starting off the year.

3. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

FYI

Going over the Scout game summary, Hatch threw an INT to Taylor late in the 3rd. Taylor also had an INT thrown by McCartney but it was called back because of a roughing the passer penalty.

4. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

I was hoping Drake Nevis would make more of a splash. I did not see him mentioned at all. Did he participate?

5. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

I must've been buying my kid cotton candy. Missed that. McCartney is the kid who surprised me moving the team a bit in the second half.

As for Nevis, like I hinted. Even with KP in sweats, ALL the defensive front looked very good. Including Nevis, though unlike RJF, he didn't stand out to me.

Also, Stevan Ridley looked strong. And TE Alex Russian had a moment or two as well.

Byrd will be an All American next year if our QB situation smooths out.

6. SonnyLoco

SonnyLoco Founding Member

The only way looking off a back isn't easy is if you are in a freakin neckbrace. You glance off and turn back and hit the target. It is actually EASIER than it sounds...because one flinch of your chin to the left or right an inch and the Safety moves 3 yards. Enough room to give your WR the uncontested catch, and save a knock out hit, or an INT.

I've said enough about this, I didn't say the QB's sucked...I JUST SAID THAT THEY NEED TO LEARN TO LOOK OFF A DB IF THEY WANT TO BE MORE SUCCESSFUL.

Thanks for coming out....God bless....good night. :geaux:

1 person likes this.
  7. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Flynn & Russell both stared down their receivers. JR was probably worse about it. Always seemed like he locked on to his hot route before the ball was even snapped.

Anyway, I always gripe about that, too. But apparently, it's a lot harder to find QBs at the collegiate level that look off their receivers than I thought it would be.

Oh, and I thought that Hatch definitely over-achieved. That long bomb that he threw in the early part of the game was perfectly placed. And he has an outstanding ability to run.

8. SonnyLoco

SonnyLoco Founding Member

I only stated that I would like to have our QB's work on looking off the receiver. I know that Flynn did, I know that JR did...that doesn't mean I would like to see them not STARE DOWN the receiver the very instant that the football goes past the center's butthole and into their fingers.

I see JV kids looking off the receiver. It is a lost art on our team, and I would like to see it implemented more. It is merely a tool to help the team. I will never mention anything that could help our young, inexperienced QB's again.:nope:

Let's try this:
    WE HAVE TWO PERFECT QB'S AND WE SHOULD NOT ONLY WIN THE BCS BUT POSSIBLY EVEN THE SUPER BOWL AND THE WORLD SERIES OF POKER!!!

Is that better???:wave:

9. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Have to remember also that Lee has been > than Hatch over the entire Spring except for the Spring game. I was impressed with Hatch and I remember being impressed with his pocket presence and running ability when he recieved some playing time last year.

10. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

As has been pointed out, Lee looked a lot better and more comfy after "halftime". I was watching Hatch on the sidelines and he was pacing and clearly pumped up. Wish I had those seats in regular season. Fun to see the guys reacting and listen to the coaches teach on the sidelines. Stud and Lane can be a bit demonstrative...very cool.