Spring Game

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUDad, Apr 5, 2014.

1. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

I guess I am unclear as to why for some reason everyone is disregarding Cam..... he came in and literally worked wonders with our O.

Yet now, no one trusts him or the man that is winning 10+ games a year in the SEC.

Further, we return freaking 4 of 5 online..... Seriously.....

2. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

You are thinking too much like me, don't know if that's a good thing

3. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I agree. Our offense looked much improved and passed the eye test last year. If we can duplicate that type of success after losing two of the best WRs I've ever seen on one LSU team, possibly the most talented QB we've had since Bert Jones, and a RB that is in the conversation as best ever at LSU, then I will believe in Cam even more.

I do think that Jennings should have had a few more passes last year before he was forced to save the day against Arkansas. Since there aren't preseason games like the NFL, I believe that young players (esp QBs) need to get experience running the playbook with live bullets.

gyver and LSUDad like this.
  4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

We should never be in the position of losing a starter and having a backup with no experience at all. Cameron played Mettenberger in the 4th quarter of already won games several times when Jennings and Rivers should have gotten some reps. Chief rotates every position on defense and all of his 1st reserves had game experience. Cameron rotates his receivers and running backs but the quarterback and offensive line starters usually played the whole game, even when we were comfortably ahead. It makes no sense to me at all. It increases the chance of injuries to the starter and leaves us with inexperienced reserves when a starter goes down.

5. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

I mean I get that, but it is not like Jennings or Harris doesn't go up against some of the best SEC D talent in LSU practice. They brought it to Jennings and Harris in the spring game just as Iowa and Ark did.

I know game time is different, but I don't think for one second our D plays soft in practice.

TigerTap likes this.
  6. dudley

dudley oops!

bhelm, I know that reporters and bystanders have to leave practice after 15 minutes or so, so I'm wondering where you're getting your information. Are you one of the ball chaser/helpers (great job if you are), or is this just second hand info? Just wondering.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It ain't about practice, man. It's about playing in the game. Sure our D is a good one, but . . .

1. Practice ain't a game.
    2. No they don't go hard and all-out in practice, it produces too many injuries.
    3. The top SEC defenses are very different. Getting used to playing your own defense in practice does not compare to playing opponents in a real game in front of thousands.

I think we play both of them until one separates himself. And then still play the other one a drive or two in every game. Insurance. Even play the third quarterback in the 4th quarter of won cupcake games. We need these young guys to hang around and be involved. They need game time.

65Grad, Kal-El012 and Richdog like this.
  8. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Even if we play both, why is this bad? Both were highly recruited and both are highly talented. With the right scheme and coaching, they both can win as evident by other programs in the country.

It seems too many speculate about things that are not "common"...

2008 was "the" anomaly.

I mean looking at other programs, LSU operates much of the same as Bama, USCe, AU, Mizzu, Ole Miss, etc

9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Cant go off making sense AND questioning the great gazoo all in the same post. The LSU staff makes no mistakes, win pct, blah blah clock it , wait what? We got an int? Better call time out.

Shame on you

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    furduknfish and Kal-El012 like this.
  10. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Nah, I am sure you can dig up a number of threads with me hammering Miles. I have done it quite frequently. I get pissed when he sits players for certain things and was pissed we left Mett in the Ole Miss game to throw 3 ints and close to another 2 in the 2nd half.