Spring Practice Photos (plus notes of interest)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Mar 8, 2014.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Has Cam Cameron ever been a successful head coach?

2. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

hmmmmm

LSUpride123 and shane0911 like this.
  3. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

No.

His best season as a head coach at any level was 5-7 at Indiana. He does a great job of developing QBs and running offenses, but thus far he has yet to prove he knows how to run a successful program. People crowning him as the next HC of LSU are jumping the gun big time. He could very well be the next Mike Archer.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
    LSUpride123 likes this.
  4. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Or the next Jimbo Fisher? Look at Muschamps resume and then look at Mike Archers before taking the LSU job.

But remember who Cam followed as the HC at Miami.

5. MLUTiger

None of that really matters. It's an attempt to justify poor performance. Cam has never been a successful HC at any of his stops and has not given anyone a reason to feel that he would be one now. He lasted exactly 1 season in Miami and won exactly 1 game. That's a pretty poor performance with no support from your boss to fire you after one year.

I think if you look at College Football history, the Jimbo Fisher's are the exception and not the rule.

Furthermore, this is a pointless conversation. Les Miles isn't going anywhere any time soon. Cam will move on long before Miles does.

6. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Well, I disagree, but probably have no more or less insight than you, so what do any of us really know? My take is that CLM and Cam are a bit older, later in their careers, have great gigs going on, enjoy working w/each other, are rebuilding a championship caliber team, and Cam plans to see that through. If he is able to get another NC under his belt, I could see CLM walking away given the coin he's made, and having that sense of accomplishment.

In regards to Cam's ability to be a HC, I certainly think he can be a very successful HC. Sometimes situations (player quality, admin support, etc) don't allow early success and other extraneous circumstances dictate not having the opportunity to see that through. I also firmly believe people learn from prior experiences and mature, building on those experiences. If Cam took over an established LSU program, and had continued strong defensive leadership, he could be a very successful HC and we would be poised to keep that level of success CLM has built.

You talk about the success somebody like Jimbo has had being the exception historically, but so is completely changing a regime once a long standing successful coach retires. Without having someone already pegged and groomed, programs can spend years changing coaches trying to find the right fit. Additionally, CLM comes from Michigan bloodlines. When Bo retired, guess who were the next 2 head coaches, long time assistants of his, and they maintained a 75% winning percentage, although arguably Carr was a step up from Moeller. I suspect CLM has a similar concept, and will dangle that carrot to keep Cam from taking those offers that will surely come.

7. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

I agree with just about all of this Paradise. The only thing I would add is that no one is taking into consideration that I would be willing to bet that Cam knows exactly what he would do differently next time. If not, then he would never be in the position he is now. That said, given that he and Miles are roughly the same age I don't see him taking over after Miles retires. Rather, I see them riding it out together. I have no insider info here so I'm just throwing out my .02

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  8. MLUTiger

I don't think that money has ever been a motivation for Miles. He's made it pretty clear from his first day in Baton Rouge that his desire is to be the Bo Schembechler of LSU. I think he will coach here until he is run off because like Bobby Bowden, I don't think he will ever tire of it.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Money sure as hell kept him from going to Michigan, I wouldn't say it "doesn't matter". It may not be everything but without it I think he is patrolling the sidelines in Ann Arbor.

10. MLUTiger

When you put quotation marks around words ("doesn't matter"), it means that is a direct quote taken from someone else. I did not use those words or that phrase. I said that "money has ever been a motivation" which is very, very different. Sure Les won't work for free, but his value to the program is worth far more than what takes home every year. As an Ambassador to the program, the school and the state he's worth more. When you take into account his winning record since his arrival, the graduation rate, his legacy as it pertains to how he influences these young men it becomes a bargain.

If money were a motivation for Les, we'd hear from his agent a lot more...