Spring Practice Tidbits

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by bhelmLSU, Mar 22, 2011.

1. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Just thought I would start a thread where we could post new developments or general discussions about the Spring.

Chris Davenport has finally been moved to OL. Don't think he is thrilled with the move but his last shot to hopefully earn playing time one day. Wasn't going to happen at DT.

2. jdkees

jdkees Veteran Member

Anyone been watching the spring practice videos on Tigerrag? All the QBs seem pretty even. Mett definitely has the best arm, but Jordan looks the smoothest in roll outs, etc. On the Defensive side, looks their working on a Mustang which is "blitz-happy" version of the Dime, which goes 3-2-6. Can't wait for the Spring Game. Will Mettenberger even see that many reps? Won't JJ and JL be running the purple and gold teams mostly? Hope that's not the case.

1 person likes this.
  3. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

It's hard to believe a guy can be that highly touted and do absolutely nothing in college. We seem to get pretty unlucky with 5 star recruits.

4. NavyTiger

NavyTiger dunn dunn it all

Unfortunetly I have to agree with you. PP was the exception. I think Bowe was a 5 star as well but that was a while ago when he was recruited.

5. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

I was going to argue with you guys, but looking back, I guess you're right. Going back as far as Rivals goes, through 2002, here's the list:

Anthony Johnson
    La'el Collins
    Jarvis Landry
    Spencer Ware
    Russell Shepard
    Reuben Randle

Chris Davenport
    Craig Loston
    Patrick Peterson
    Terrance Toliver
    Chad Jones
    Al Woods
    Keiland Williams
    Ryan Perrilloux
    Claude Wroten
    Early Doucet
    Xavier Carter
    Justin Vincent

Lots of busts on the list. I really think that 7 of those top 8 guys on that list are going to be greats though.

6. asignupe99

asignupe99 Founding Member

I'm not arguing that the list has guys that never lived up to their lofty status, but I only see a couple of true busts...

I do agree with you about the bolded names though. I think Landry will be taking someones spot in the WR rotation, and soon...well, once the fall comes at least.

7. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

I'd be curious to see what the norm is. When you get as many 5* guys as we do, some are bound to not work out, especially with the ridiculous competition they face at this program.

8. bhelmLSU

Davenport's downfall was the leg injury he came in with which put him way behind the 8-ball and caused too much weight gain.

Another Tidbit...

Sam Gibson has been moved to Safety and is lined up with the 2's in front of Ronnie Vinson.

9. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Where was he previously? Which spot is he playing? So we are looking at Taylor, Loston, Gibson, and who else in the 2-deep?

And what about Eric Reid? Where does he end up?

Lotsa questions....

10. bhelmLSU

Gibson was shifted around WR and CB last season.

Chavis is known for making all of the S play both learn both spots so we will see Reid at both to get on the field.

As of now Taylor at Strong and Loston at Free safety. Reid is backing up Taylor and Gibson backing up Loston.

I can't see Reid not being on the field as much as the others. They will make it work.