Springsteen

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by lsu99, May 5, 2014.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I like Bob Seger and Bruce Springsteen and blues based southern rock like Lynerd Skynard. Maybe my musical tastes are just more evolved than some of the posters. Liking one doesn't mean you have to dislike the other. Even leaving aside the lyrics about working class New Jersey types the Boss and his band still crank out some hard driving rock and roll

red55 likes this.
  2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I remember 20 years ago or so, when Eagle 98 went to the classic rock format, they celebrated the NCAA basketball tournament by having a call-in "tournament" to pick the greatest rock song of all time. They gave listeners time to call in and choose their favorite of two songs, and ran them through a tournament bracket. The final winner was Seger's "Turn The Page." What?!?!? My brain hurt for a week after that.

3. mctiger

Yep. Besides, we all know there are 3 true gods of rock.....Geddy, Lerxst and the Professor.

4. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I don't like everything he has done. Most of his late 80s and 90s albums are largely forgettable. He is making some really good music in the last 10 years or so. The stuff he did in the 70s and early 80s is top notch all time great stuff.

The dude does have 8 Rolling Stone top 500 Albums. That puts him in the same company as Elvis, The Who, Clapton, and Neil Young, and a shade behind The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and Dylan. He is almost in-arguably one of the top American rockers

red55 likes this.
  5. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

You are talking about a radio station from a city that voted McDonald's the best french fries and Papa Murphy's the best pizza.

6. mctiger

you get an lol for that.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The thing I don;t like about Bob Seger is the same issue I have with Motown singles and Hall and Oates. They all got saturation airplay in the 1980's Classic Rock avalanche and I don't care if I ever hear any of them again.

And listener polls . . . i gave up on them in 1980 when they had a national contest for the best popular song and the worst popular song and MacArthur Park won both of them! I guess you either loved it or hated it.

8. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

During my freshman year at LSU ('95), the Eagle 98.1 had a top 100 (or maybe 1,000?) songs of all-time. It was spread over a few days at a specific time of night. My roomate and I had been trying to guess the songs in the top 10. When they got to about #8, that song "Blinded by the Light" came on. It was followed by a few other songs that were obviously not in the top 10.

It turns out that they decided not to finish the top 10 since it was kind of late at night. We were drinking and really into the top 10 but they just stopped it without any announcement. I still hate whenever I hear that Blinded by the Light song.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

A lot of these so called polls decide the winners according to who spends the most money advertising on their station or magazine. 225 magazine always has a "Best Burger" or "Best Poboy" or Best whatever and if you look through the magazine the winners always have prominent display ads in the magazine.

I do remember some years ago when some radio station had best rock n roll song ever contest. Stairway to Heaven won

10. mctiger

No accounting for taste. I often get weird looks when I tell people I think "In the Air Tonight" is the most overrated song of all time.