Spurrier Recruiting

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by MALONE121212, Mar 26, 2004.

1. MALONE121212

MALONE121212 Founding Member

I had a friend that got recruited by Spurrier when he was at Fl. My friend told me that Spurrier's pitch was "You can come to Florida and play for a national championship or you can go somewhere else and watch us play on T.V. for the national championship, it is up to you!"
    I dont really care for Spurrier but i like the recruiting tatic. What's funny is Spurrier only won 1 Nat'l championship.

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

As much success as he had in the decade of the 90s, it has to be disappointing to Gator fans and especially Spurrier that they could only win that 1 NC.

3. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

All the hurrah, all the great effort, all the run-ups against crappy teams to impress the pollsters, all the great NFL legacy, all the abject arrogance, all the sneers, all the thrown visors, all the FSU bashing...

...to only win 1 NC...

It literally could not have happened to a nicer guy. :D

Nice job in DC, you freakin' punk.

Hope to NEVER see your pompous @ss again.

4. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

There is no one that despises Spurrier more than I do and I hope he never has success on the football field again. However he may have one only one national championship but almost every season for a long time the gators were in the mix until the end. Yes he was arrogant beyond belief, yes he ran up the score every chance he had but he also fielded some excellent football teams. Like I said I can't stand the guy and I am very happy he pulled an Eli in Washington(fell on his ass), but his teams were contenders more times than not. :geaux: :lsug: :champs: :champs: :champs:

5. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

It's not just Spurrier: winning multiple national championships in the modern era is VERY hard to do.

I looked this sort of info up during the season last year, and Bobby Bowden serves as a case in point as to how insanely difficult winning one of these puppies can be: Fla St. had FOURTEEN STRAIGHT seasons with 10 or more wins (1987-2000), yet they have two national titles to show for such dominance.

I think that's the #1 reason why so many LSU fans are chapped about USC--we don't want to have to share this with anyone, mainly b/c this level of success is rarely realized in this day and age.

6. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Especially difficult to win multiple NCs if you play in the SEC ... unless you are LSU, of course !