Spurrier to South Carolina

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by cajdav1, Nov 18, 2004.

1. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1925598

How much would the contract for HIT be if Holtz tries to stay? :rofl:

2. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

I think South Carolina fans deserve a good coach. I hope it works out for them, just not against us.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Holtz is basically the Paterno of the South.....doesn't have it anymore

They best not blow their chance at landing Spurrier by keeping Holtz on for another mediocre season.

4. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

agreed. holtz has been washed up since his last couple of seasons at ND

5. DRC

DRC TigerNator

No chit! :thumb:

Holtz is way, way past his time. He did enough to bring the cocks back to some respectability and now its someone elses turn to move it up further. Darth Visor will be on a mission at SC, especially after the debacle at his potential re-hire at Florida. If this indeed happens, the SEC east just got a lot tougher for Tinnysee, Gawga and the Gaydors.

6. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Here he is , The Visor is back. At least his team's mascot is now consistent with his personality !

7. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

How perceptive! :thumb:

8. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody Founding Member

Yep, Spurrier Getting Cocky

9. SpringTiger

SpringTiger Founding Member

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

10. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

could not access your link, but was it about this? courtesy of the Dallas Morning News...

Report: Spurrier will replace Holtz at South Carolina
    12:18 PM CST on Thursday, November 18, 2004

Associated Press

COLUMBIA, S.C. - Steve Spurrier has agreed to take over as football coach at South Carolina if Lou Holtz retires at the end of the season, The Tennessean of Nashville reported in Thursday's editions.

An announcement regarding Spurrier, who won a national championship at Florida, is expected next week, the newspaper said, citing an anonymous source close to the situation.

South Carolina spokesman Kerry Tharp denied the report. He said the 67-year-old Holtz still needs to decide whether to return for a seventh season with the Gamecocks.

"Let's let him make that assessment," Tharp told The Associated Press. "I can't comment on what people are speculating. I'd just as soon leave it at that."

Several times this season Holtz has said he felt tired and worn out. He's also mentioned that Spurrier would be a good choice to succeed him.

This week, as the Gamecocks (6-4, 4-4 Southeastern Conference) prepared for Saturday's game with Clemson, Holtz addressed reports that South Carolina contacted Spurrier.

"I've talked to Steve," Holtz said. "I don't want to go in that direction, but I have talked to him. We talked about how you cure a slice, his son, etc. Steve's a good friend of mine, as I said. All I want to talk about is Clemson, Clemson, Clemson. That's all. That's the only thing on my mind."